Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My Summer Project

For those of you who may take the time to read these, you know that earlier in the summer my project completely failed. I had my heart set on working with our teens because they don't always get a lot of attention, and after all of my hard work and effort, only four kids were interested in doing a summer series of projects. So, I moved on.

The kids I have gotten to work with the most during my time here have been the Poultry Judging & Avian Bowl teams and one of our kids who does Forestry. These kids are probably my favorite group because they have found something that they are so interested in that they take time out of their summer and personal lives to study and learn more about it. So, I started looking for ways to help them.

My summer project was to create sets and sets of online flashcards for these teams. I used a website (www.studyblue.com) as well as the coordinating app to create a class for Carter County 4-H. These kids create a free account on the website/app, enroll in our class (for free), and then have access to any materials I have created. The kids love it! They see it as a game and are a lot more likely to play with flash cards while they are bored on their phone than they are to sit down and read the poultry judging manual.

The app has also been phenomenal because it has a teacher function (my agent serves as the teacher) that allows you to post things and view results. The app tracks which flashcards you get right and which you get wrong, and it allows you to go through all of your flash cards or to study the ones that you miss most frequently. There are also quizzes available to test your knowledge whenever you feel ready to take them. The best thing about the app, though, is that the kids can post things as well, and anyone who ever wants to can join the class. This way even kids in other counties or states can use the materials we post.

No comments:

Post a Comment