Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Adjusting to the life of Cooperative Extension; Alaysia Radford


As the fair approached I had no idea what to expect. All I know is it would require working later hours in which I was completely fine with. So I attend a board meeting concerning the West Kentucky Fair. I had no idea things got this serious about the fair and quickly learned how Cloverville and Livestock would operate. But two days before that I had the chance of throwing the first pitch at the Hopkinsville Hoppers baseball game. Our office was one of the sponsors so it was ideal that I market our office. Let me not forget to mention I had never thrown a baseball a day in my life. I had no other choice but to prepare myself. So I was fortunate to have an uncle who played baseball teach me how to throw a baseball. When the day came I threw it right into to catchers glove.
 
  
On another hand I am glad to say my first livestock show went better than I though. Which was the swine show. I was placed at the weigh in station with Mia. So this was in close contact with the animals. I soon learned that the children in these shows take it extremely serious because these are the animals they've helped raise and still are raising. And I found if quite interesting watching these children show off their animals. 


While working at the 4H food booth I got a chance to connect with the JR. MANNRS students. It was wonderful to see children look up up me and ask questions about college readiness. I gave them a wide range of feedback for things they need to work on to prepare them for college. In fact many of them remember me from conference and the student panel. I loved the fact that they actually pay attention to individuals who come into their lives to make a difference. It warms my heart to know that these students look up to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment