Monday, July 14, 2014

History, News Articles, and Shooting Sports



When I came into the office on Monday, I started to really work on a project that had been sitting around for a while. A book on the history of the county was written 19 years ago by the Henry County Historical Society; but it is a really long book and very dry, sort of an encyclopedia for the county. Another book had been started on by the extension office for a younger age group, but it was buried beneath reports and camp. I decided to take up the project and start putting the information together in a way that made sense, but was fun to look at and gave the kids something to do while learning about the county that they are growing up in. Much of the information was already there in front of me but it was either very rough, unneeded, or too much for a younger age group to understand. I’ve started by putting together a page with information on all of the towns and communities in Henry County. There is a lot more work to do on it too. Significant figures, places, events, organizations, and activities for each section, all make for what started as a small project, to a huge undertaking. The plan started out for a 20 page book, but that quickly moved up to around 80 pages.
In the middle of the week, Cathy asked if I would write a news article with the results of the 4-H exhibits at the county fair. Having never written a news article before, I was excited about the opportunity to see something I’d written be put out to the public. It was a simple article, listing each class and the results for them for every class in the 4-H section of the exhibit hall. I had forgotten to mention, but a few weeks prior, I had written another article about camp as well, going over the activities, how many we brought to camp, and some pictures to promote camp for next year and get returning members excited for next year as well.
This Saturday was a conflicting time for me, as I was volunteered to be a judge at the state 4-H communications event at UK’s campus; but my shooting sports team was just a few miles away in Berea at the second half of the district 4 shoot. Being a coach for my team, I was bummed that I wouldn’t get to go watch my kids shoot, but I was okay with judging demonstrations for a state event. I judged shooting sports demonstrations, with topics from archery, to cleaning firearms, to gun safety. With the district shoot happening just up the road, there were only 5 participants giving demonstrations for shooting sports, and after scoring for each demonstration I was told I was free to go. I drove down to Berea to the district 4 shoot and got to see my kids receive their awards.

No comments:

Post a Comment