Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Balancing is key

This internship is wrapping up within just a few weeks. My summer has seemed short because of the busy schedule and each daily task being different. They say time flies and this summer has really flown. Working this intern along with raising 4 acres of tobacco and holding two other jobs has its effects. I have lost some sleep, forgot what a day off is, but its been an experience I will never forget and balancing is key.

I have completed my project and it was a huge success. I had my own day camp that was for 9 to 13 year olds. I was able to plan it completely and even go out and get supplies. It was hectic and there were times I was unsure if I had enough planned. Since I am not a teaching major I went to a friend who kind of coached me through a lesson plan setup. I like to be organized but I am not one to follow a schedule. To me I just go with the flow. This day camp I had was perfect. I took everything to the "extreme" by making the kids make every toy to play with. We made bean bag balls, cooked up some slime and play dough. There were team building games and activities. I stressed the need to be team oriented because these days that what everyone is. The kids had a blast and by the end of the day I was told they couldn't wait until next year. Some kids even told me that they should invite me to there birthday parties. I guess I am able to out do the party clowns!

I measure success differently then most. Its not about the dollar amount I receive. My grandfather made sure I never took things for granted and that I knew what hard work meant. With everything I am doing this year I think he would be proud. I have an autistic cousin and seeing the struggles her family and she goes through put you in a different mind set. If someone else enjoys their self, and if someone else is happy, and if I can get a compliment on a job well done then it is a success. I don't want to reap the benefits I would much rather someone else. This intern has allowed that part of me to be filled. I struggle to keep two jobs at times but I have, my crops keep me busy but they are favorable, and most days I walk out of the extension office thinking I helped someone else. It might have been the ten minute conversation with a homemaker, or a run in  with a local farmer I help in my spare time, or putting smiles on kids faces at day camp. All are rewards!

No comments:

Post a Comment