Monday, July 7, 2014

It's All About Timing!


It’s All About Timing!
         Research is all about preciseness.  In order for research to be conducted correctly many actions not only have to be taken, but they also have to be done at a certain time.  This internship at Spindletop Research Farm this summer has taught me time management in the field.  I have had many jobs this summer that have required me to know what stages the plant is growing at and also the date that we are doing the job at.  Both of these time management practices are key to successfully finishing a research project in the Agronomy world. 
            The plant is the one who determines when applications are to be done in a research project.  Both in corn and soybeans (the two crops I am mostly working with), growth stages are frequently checked and recorded.  Determining the growth stages in corn and soybeans differs between each plant.  By determining the growth stages of corn and soybeans researchers can then know when to apply different spraying applications, defoliations, and stand counts.  The pictures below describe how growth stages in corn and soybeans are determined.

This has been what a huge portion of my summer has been thus far.  I have helped researchers and graduate students progress through their research projects and help make sure everything runs smoothly and promptly.  I enjoy being able to go to work everyday and know that I am helping towards making a difference in the future of agriculture.  I am excited to know that the research I daily contribute to is being looked at my many researchers and companies across the nation.  Agriculture is a growing industry that I am so excited to be apart of!
             

No comments:

Post a Comment