Tuesday, July 1, 2014

So Many Activities

Howdy!

I have had a super busy but fun filled past two weeks with the Crittenden County Extension office. I attended the Kentucky Youth Seminar, June 17th thru the 20t. I spent my days with some exceptionally smart students from around Kentucky. Crittenden County was well represented by three youth scholars and one junior leader. The students from Crittenden came home with many cash prizes as well as one $600 scholarship and an opportunity to go on the NICE trip to Virigina Tech. this summer. I was not looking forward to staying in a dormitory on this trip but I stayed so busy helping with the students I hardly noticed the dorm room.

This past week I went on many farm calls and helped community members with the issues in their home gardens as well as commercial crops. Farm calls are my favorite because I get to teach as well as learn! I get to teach the community what is wrong with their tomato plant or if I don't know what is wrong with it I research and learn then share the information.

Also this past week I set up traps with Patty Lucas in a raspberry patch here in Crittenden County to check for spotted wing drosophilas. Many farmers and gardeners in the community are worried about these pesky pests that can ruin their fruit. Hopefully we do not find any of these pest in Crittenden this season!

Between getting ready for 4-H camp and the fair Crittenden County Extension is doing great!

No comments:

Post a Comment