Tuesday, July 1, 2014

From Livestock Judging to Cake Decorating and Everything in Between!



        We hit the road running at 11am, caravanning with 3 other counties making our way to Muhlenberg County for the State Livestock Judging Event! From many laughs to zzzz’s, from singing to talking; the 4 hour car ride was a blast! I got to connect and learn so much about judging just by listening to our judgers practice in the back seat! The next two days I got to see the 4-H’ers in action; judging, giving reasons and completing their question. It was great to see their hard work pay off at the awards banquet, this was a great moment seeing their smile take over their faces when they would hear their name or our county called for an award! This was an awesome experience being able to see all the different steps that go into Livestock Judging and being able to get my hands dirty, helping score cards made the experience even better! Congratulations Campbell County Livestock Judging Team, Gracie and Kelly, you did great!


   Then to end that week, I assisted with the Cloverbuds making Ice Cream in a bag! Let me just say this was a very chilly and messy project but it was awesome seeing the kid’s faces when they got to see and taste their ice cream creations! I loved working with the Cloverbuds, it was great to see we can even make an impact on a young child’s life! f you can’t notice yet, I am loving every moment of this internship! 

            
    After having all this fun, it was time to get down to business! After 4 hours, saying the
alphabet countless of times and counting to 16 like it was my job, we had finally finished our girls cabin sheets for 4-H Camp! With a total of 178 girl campers and 36 girl counselors we had secured and filled a grand total of 11 girl cabins! After that long task we definitely needed a break! So, the next day we started like busy bees to finish the boy’s cabins! Again after 3 hours, saying the alphabet countless of time and counting to 13 like it was my job, we had completed the boys cabins! With a total of 104 boy campers and 24 male counselors we had secured and filled a grand total of 8 boy cabins!
       I have been attending camp since I was 11 years old and every year I get so pumped for this week of my summer! This year going to camp as an intern I am even more excited! Being part of all the ‘behind the scenes’ work has made it even more exciting for me to see how everything turns out! The countdown is on, 2 ½ more weeks then North Central, Here We Come!
                 
      After preparing all month for my workshop the day was finally here! We had delivered many flyers to several Elementary Schools and had sent out an announcement in our 4-H Newsletter about the workshop. The Project Palooza Week had begun- Cake Decorating and Cupcake Decorating Workshop day was here! I was so very excited to teach my workshop, I was ready to get started! I had a total of 23 4-H’ers and 2 Teens attend my workshop!



We spent the day learning all about Cake Decorating and Cupcake Decorating Projects that they can submit to our County Fair and also to the State Fair! I taught simple cake decorating skills like; smoothing on icing, how to fill an icing bag and I taught them how to use five icing tips to decorate their cakes and cupcakes.







       It was a busy, fun and long day, but we ended the afternoon with a Cupcake Challenge! Each 4-H’er got 2 cupcakes and they had to decorate the cupcake with the techniques that we had gone over that day. Sherri and Paul then judged the cupcakes, the 4-Her’s were judged on; creativity, demonstrated at least one tip to decorate, the skill of how to smooth icing, an overall theme or appearance and if the 4-H clover was present. Sherri and Paul then announced 3 winners!



Overall, the day went great! The 4-H’ers left with two cupcakes and all the supplies they would need to submit a Cake Decorating or Cupcake Decorating Project in the Fair! 

                These past few weeks have been the best! I am learning something different every day and I am getting the opportunity to see all the different parts of being a 4-H agent! The lesson I have learned these weeks is that no matter what you are doing from teaching cake decorating, helping make ice cream or just being there to listen to Judgers practice their reasons, you are making a difference in that child’s life and I love that! After you see the spark, excitement and interest in the child’s eyes it makes everything all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment