Friday, July 18, 2014

Help Wanted! Missing Person!

I'm in need of a little help from you. You do not have to have any prior investigative training or credentials at all. I'm in dire need of help to find a missing person. She goes by the name of  June, had 30 days and apparently goes by like the speed of light. Wow! I just simply cannot believe that it is already July. I feel like it was just the beginning  June but with the busy schedule like my cooperating agent and I had, I guess I can understand. June was a very busy month but rounded out with some awesome activities.

Right after I posted my last blog, I got the call from my cooperating agent to head to the local radio station. She told me that they do a little segment called "Your Town" and they wanted to focus on 4-H events. This was an amazing experience to advocate for our local 4-H and the projects and events we had coming up. The next day it was rise and shine for the Fleming County 4-H Shooting Sports Invitational. We had several counties with a huge presence and even some far travelers all the way from Washington County. This was a very successful event that always raises a lot of money for the club.

Photo: We are underway with the 2014 Fleming County 4-H Shooting Sports Invitational!



I have been to 4-H camp two times as a camper in elementary school, so I thought I knew the ins and outs of camp. Boy did I have another thing coming! Cloverbud camp had arrived and we had 2 girls and 2 boys attend as campers. When I arrived I got my cabin information and we were in a cabin with 2 Boone County kids and the rest of the cabin was Jessamine County. My campers were a little weary on bunking with other kids and I was surprisingly in the same boat. We got moved into the cabin and settled down while meeting the other kids that we would be staying with. I was not excited to begin the week and thought that this was the worst experience of my life. However as time flew by it became one of the best experiences of my life. In the beginning I was nervous on how I would react to kids especially how I would react to their bad behavior when the time came. To my surprise we only had a few kids act out but the rest were golden children. The campers we brought opened up and made new friends and when it came time to leave they asked if they could stay longer and once again I was in the same boat as they were. Cloverbud camp was a lot of fun and a good preparation to "big kid" camp that's coming up.

Who doesn't like arts and crafts? Another project day came and went and it was probably one of my favorites. Arts and crafts that were made included tye dye shirts, stained glass, memory boards, and confetti bowls. The kids loved every second of the jam packed day and so did I. Shortly after arts and crafts concluded, I was back at it trying to figure out how to put a popcan lamp together. I was overwhelmed with the amount of parts and assumed that it would be difficult. But it was fairly simple and it turned out really awesome.  That night we had camper orientation for kids who were attending camp. We covered the rules and had parents fill out some paperwork while the kids got to pick their top 10 classes for camp.

The very next day was the Popcan Lamp workshop that I had the honor of teaching. We had about 20 kids come to construct a lamp. So I went instruction by instruction and tried to not talk above any of the participants heads. We also had some gentlemen come in from Fleming-Mason energy to talk about circuit boards and how energy runs in our houses. With some time to spare we allowed the kids to break out some paint and pipe cleaners to decorate their lamp shades. I think the kids were more proud of their product than I was the day before and that is hard to beat. That night we had 1 adult counselor and 2 junior counselors attend the AC/JC training in Harrison County with Staci and I. At the training I was in charge of an icebreaker game as well as covering Unit 3 in the camp handbook.







Now, my ultimate favorite workshop day was even more awesome than I thought it was going to be. On Tuesday July 8, we had a cupcake decorating workshop. We had a local lady who bakes and decorates cakes come in to teach. I absolutely love cake and any type of cake, so this was a blast for me. as kids got to decorate and make some extras, I got to sample their hard work. Boy did it taste amazing! I even jumped in and decorated a few cupcakes to take home. We also had one participant thinking she could decorate my face like her cupcakes. The very next day it was back at it, well eating that is because it was our cooking workshop day. We had kids come in and bake the 4-H cooking recipes to enter in the Fleming County Fair. They loved getting to make their own item and then taste their

hard work at the end of the day.


Well it was finally time for the Fleming County Fair that my cooperating agent and I had been debating and preparing for. This was the first year for the Fleming County Fair. We use to have fairgrounds located in a community called Ewing but the family sold the land. So our community decided that we still needed a fair and we did. Thursday we had our kids bring in the entries they had worked hard on all summer long. After entries were in, we had some judges come in from the Lewis County Extension Office. Friday and Saturday were display days for the community to come by and observe the hard work our 4-Hers put in. Later Saturday evening the exhibitors came back to pick up their items and it was soon time to pack up and conclude the first Fleming County Fair.

Photo: Hmm what's wrong with this photo?

This past week has been pretty busy for me bouncing back and forth from working on my intern project to the Super Star Chef workshop. When I was not helping with the Super Star Chef program I was in the office trying to pull together the final pieces of my Land Judging Boot Camp. This was an interesting experience for me because with the Super Star Chef program I got to learn a little more about the FCS program we have here in Fleming County. It was really neat to observe the state interns facilitate such an awesome cooking workshop for kids in our community.

Until Next Time,
Cameron Earlywine
University of Kentucky

Career and Technical Education

No comments:

Post a Comment