Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Boyd County Fair Week!!!

As my time comes to an end as the Boyd County Extension Intern, I could not think of a better way to wrap up a wonderful summer than with the county fair. The month at the office I have been doing as much as possible to make the fair week run smoothly......but as I'm sure we all know, you cannot prepare enough for fair.

Fair began Monday, August 21st with livestock weigh-in and check-in. A total of 28 4-H youth brought livestock projects to exhibit and sale a the fair. Each year the Boyd County livestock club has grown in not only in number of exhibitors, but also in the number of supporters. As more and more youth begin showing, more and more buyers come to the livestock auction on Saturday of the fair.

County fair is so near and dear to my heart, because growing up as a 4-Her fair was the absolute highlight of my year. Now, as an adult I love being behind the scenes of the fair helping the 4-Hers enjoy this very special week as much as I did growing up. Although this week has been very stressful (making show schedules, stall assignments, sorting ribbons and trophies, and even decorating the barns), it has definitely been the highlight of my internship.

No comments:

Post a Comment