Sunday, July 13, 2014

Growing through my new expericences

In the past two weeks I have experience so many things for the first time. Being a person who did not grow up in 4H I am so grateful to have had the chance to go to camp with Franklin County.  I’ve always wanted to go to camp as a child; although I was there as an adult councilor I felt like a kid again! I was not expecting for the fun to begin as soon as we step out of the bus. Feeling a bit overwhelmed at first,  I’m glad the camp staff was so welcoming. I was paired with other adult councilor and a junior councilor so I had plenty of help, which was needed at times. I was also responsible for 17 girls ages 9 and 10. Man were they a boy crazy bunch!  It made for many silly conversations, especially after Sally down the Ally. During the first day of classes I assisted with the beginning and advance swimming. I teach swimming at the YMCA so this was fun for me to bring my own experience to; though the instructors of the course had it all under control. It was also a nice way to cool off! On the second day I was able to explore the camp. This is where I got to Khaki for the first time. Play freeze tag on the water! I got to shoot a bow! Climb a rock wall and then zip line down! I shot a riffle for the first time as well. I also attempted to walk across a tight rope, this didn’t go well but it was still fun to try. I also sat in Rodney Bennett’s leadership class which was inspirational and fun! Over all I had a really good time at camp and I fully believe that camps like this makes a huge difference in children’s lives. I feel that I saw a lot of growth in my girls throughout the week trying new things and getting to know new people.
In the following week I got to visit Spindle-top farm. We were initially there for an intern review but after the business was taken care of we were given a tour of the farm. The view was beautiful but also learning about the different parts of a soy bean plant and how the measure it was interesting. I love to learn about new and different things.  Example: Spindle top farm is named this because the family that originally owned the land created the spindle top that was used when weaving things.
Everyday I appreciate this internship more! The things that extension does for Kentucky are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment