Monday, July 7, 2014

The Half Way Mark!

It's hard to believe that I'm half way through this summer as an intern at the Boyd County Extension Office. It's amazing how much I have already learned, and how much I still have to learn. Each day it seems that I am doing something totally new than the day before. The past few weeks have been packed full of activities from Farm and Field Day, to ES237 I have been a very busy bee.

Over the recent weeks I have attended the Annual Homemaker's meeting, and it was such a blast. From the beautiful decorations that each group made, the delicious food which had been catered in, and the so interesting presentation about women in Extension through the years. Nearly 100 Homemakers and their guest attended the meeting.  I was also able to help our Horticulture Agent in her lesson with a group of Pathways. This lesson was positively a hit with the group, we cooked a full three course meal! We prepared watermelon, pickled cucumbers, chicken and zucchini stir fry, vanilla beach pudding, grilled cabbage, roasted red potatoes, and a few other side dishes. Through this lesson, we were able to teach the group valuable life skills, such as cooking and team work. I also attend the county livestock club meeting where I helped weigh dairy cattle and rabbits.

The week of June 23-27 , I helped plant a Rain Garden at the office. The garden is full of a variety of beautiful flowers and plants which are watered though rain water that we catch and reuse. That week I also started going full steam ahead in preparing for the Showmanship Clinic which I am hosting on July 10th,  through the week I gathered donations for door prizes that I am giving away at the clinic. I was lucky enough to have 3 local farm and feed stores donate towards the clinic. On the 27th, myself along with the FCS, Agriculture, and assistance attended the Lawrence and Boyd County Farm and Filed Day at the Kentucky Antler Company. Nearly 250 people from surrounding counties attended the field day. The next week was a relatively short week due to the Holiday, but it was packed full of preparation for my upcoming showmanship clinic, as well as fair preparation, and my first class at the Ashland Area Resource Center where I taught 20 3-7 year olds fitness through a curriculum around Jack and the Bean Stalk.

-Emily Tussey
Boyd County



No comments:

Post a Comment