Monday, July 28, 2014

Finishing Strong! by Katie Ullery




The last two weeks were by far my favorite two weeks so far. The week I have been waiting for all year has come and gone and it was all that I hoped it to be. 4-H camp was a blast. During camp I did a variety of activities and classes. On Tuesday our first day of classes I taught our low ropes class and I got to do different challenge course elements with the kids. Out of all the activities at camp the challenge course is one of my favorite places. It is a place that pushes the kids out of their comfort zone while also helping them form bonds with the other kids they are interacting with. At camp I also taught a day of our CIT class. For this class I had a four hour block in which I wanted the Counselors in Training to learn the roles of being a counselor and different qualities they needed to have. We went over different roles that campers, CIT’s and, counselors have and then we played different ice breaker games, and time filler games. The great part about all the games we played is that they all were done without any equipment. This allows them to be able to play games with the kids whenever they need to kill some cabin time or even just help them stay in control in an easier and fun way. At camp I also got to experience the disciplinarian side of the agent, when we had a child that had to be sent home and all the steps that are embedded in the process. During camp I also helped lead an activity during free recreation and our great race.
            After we got back from camp I had to get the ball rolling on the final details of my Farmer’s Market Day Camp. This was my project I did for the summer. For my day camp I was told that it started at 11 and ended at 6 other than that I was given free range to do as I wish with the day camp.  In my day camp I taught the kids three different reasons on why to shop at the farmer’s market.  We talked about sustainability and in the class they all got to plant their own herb into a water bottle and they had stickers from food bought from Kroger and Walmart that showed where all of our food comes from. This was a visual to show kids that the money we spend on food is leaving our area and we could easily keep it here. The second class they did was on freshness; in this class they did taste testing. We had fresh fruits and some vegetables that they tried and then we had a either canned or Walmart bought version of the same item. In this they compared smell, size, texture and flavor of the different foods. They tried corn, apples, peaches, and tomatoes. They also learned knife safety. In the last class they focused on food identification. Knowing what foods are offered at the farmers market is important. So once they were able to identify all the foods they did an activity called food art, in which we had different fruits and veggies cut up in different ways and they made pictures out of their food, we had a clover group, a mermaid, a bicycle and more. This turned out really well. After they were finished with that they got to eat their vegetables.
            Lastly during our day camp the kids got to make their own dinner. There were five groups and each group made a side of the meal. We had zucchini chips, green beans and potatoes, black bean corn salsa, pretzel crusted chicken, peach blueberry cobbler and homemade vanilla ice cream. The meal portion took the most planning because all the fresh food was donated from local farmers. This part was the most exciting for me because I think it is very important for kids to learn that healthy food taste good and that eating local is easier than it looks. 
 I still have have three more weeks but, I am ready to finish strong and continue having a great time in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment