Friday, July 25, 2014

Just Keep Moving...

Though I have 4 weeks left of my internship, I have already had so many wonderful experiences. I can't even begin to explain how incredible this opportunity has been. Over the last couple of weeks I have had the opportunity to work with our ANR agent in the field.  We visited the local orchards and discussed various disease, pest control, and weather concerns that have hit our local producers this season.  We also took the time to evaluate our field plots in the area.  Here I was able to observe some vast differences in grain farming as a whole but also with the particular species of corn and soybeans used by local producers.  The state corn test plot, being located here in the county, was another stop on our list.  We looked at the varying ways producers choose to germinate and thin out production within fields.  Lastly, as our ANR agent was out attending the state meeting, I stayed back to assist in running the local Goat and Sheep Producers meeting.  We discussed the upcoming Small Ruminant Profit School and its promotion as well as other local events they chose to be a part of including AGstravaganza coming up on August 9th.

 The rest of the week was devoted to 4-H.  The intern from our local paper came out to interview me to do a write up on the extension internship.  After this I spent the rest of my afternoons collecting and pressing leaves for an example forestry 4-H entry book.  With these leaves I created the leaf print collection as well as the 2nd year leaf collection in hopes that it may inspi  Saturday consisted of another long day’s work as I made my way to Lexington for the State Communications Day event.  I hosted the Science and Natural Resources, Junior and Senior, room.  From volcanoes and lava lamps, to honey bees and animal trapping, we had a great range of entries.  It was so encouraging to see what unique and creative ideas the members are able to come up with.
re, encourage, or assist future 4-Hers to collect their own as a county fair entry.
The following week Dr. Jacobs made a visit to the office.  Though I have quite some time left in my internship it was nice to talk with her and my supervisor to discuss some of the experiences this opportunity has led to thus far.  I can only hope it continues in the same way.  This was also the week videos were due for the intern video contest.  I wasn’t sure if I was going to produce one at first but once I finished I was happy with its turn out.  Now to wait and see how the contest turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment