Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Why Research?


Why Research?
As stated in my previous blogs, this summer I have had the great opportunity to intern at the Agronomy Research Farm on the outskirts of Lexington this summer.  This experience has been one that has taught me many life skills that I will use later in life, such as preciseness, being timely, organization, communication, etc.   All of the skills that I have acquired so far through this internship have been because of all the work I have done in research this summer.  There are many reasons why research is done, such as progression and education.  These two reasons give me excitement, for I know that the work I am performing this summer in the fields is being put towards the better tomorrow of the world. 
Progression is key in a world like we live in.  Knowing that we live in a world that is continuously growing tends to scare me when I know there are more mouths to feed than there ever has been, and less land available for agricultural production due to urban growth.  The way technology works so efficiently today is an example of how agriculture is progressing towards to producing more for the growing population that we face.  It is farms like Spindletop at the University of Kentucky that are working towards producing better yields with less land and applications.  This is the reason why research is so vital in the world today.
The University of Kentucky Extension Program has approached the research side of agricultural production like no other institution has.  The University of Kentucky has teamed up with many big name agricultural companies throughout the country to perform research experiments for creating larger yields with certain applications.  This research is also being put towards the education that is being given to not only the students at the University of Kentucky, but also farmers across the state. Research is proven material that farmers can put into their own crops to make larger yields to not only feed people, but to also make a better living for their selves.  All in all the University of Kentucky Extension Program is making a better tomorrow for not only the farmers of the Commonwealth, but also those all across the country.
I am excited to know that one day I will be able to put forth the knowledge I have learned this summer towards my own research or career in crop production that I may pursue.  Research is a necessity that many overlook.  People need to know where there food comes from and how vital it is that maximum is produced.  Without the farmers, researchers, professors, and many agriculturalists we have today, tomorrow would not be as easy as yesterday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment