Tuesday, July 15, 2014

4-H Camp and so much more!

Wow! Where do I begin when talking about 4-H camp? It was such a great time to be back at one of the most influential places in my life. I was surrounded by great kids all week. Going back to 4-H Camp took me back to the beginning where it all began for me. I had just turned nine before my first camp and seeing all the first time campers took me back to those days. And oh yes I did sally around the alley!
Most of the week I was extremely busy teaching a class with the LaRue County intern, Lindsay. We taught a class about identifying trees and had a scavenger hunt and made leaf prints. Since learning about trees isn't always the most interesting for kids we had to have fun while teaching and show them hands on examples to spark their interest.
The one thing that showed me just how great these kids where was when one cabin made a cheer for the class me and Lindsay taught. It was so heart warming I had to video it to show everyone!

Me and Carol had to drive to town one night at camp to purchase ice cream sandwiches for the kids. As we were exiting the camp grounds we found a newborn fawn on the road and I had to guide him off the road to safety where I took this picture. Only at 4-H camp can you admire so much nature. It was a wonderful experience.
I made so great friendships with the campers. They showed me what 4-H is really about and how it is really just one big family I have been missing since I aged out. I wish I could be an intern forever but maybe extension can be in my future. There is nothing more rewarding than being a 4-H agent.





No comments:

Post a Comment