Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Pigs, Kids and4-H Camp



Pigs, Kids, and 4-H camp!
The last two weeks have been full of fair activities, day camps and planning for 4-H camp. We finished our county fair week with the swine show and the sheep show. The swine show was by far my favorite, my duties at the swine show were simple. Keep the pigs out of the corner. I didn’t really realize what the entailed (considering it was my first swine show). It was so much fun though,  I worked alongside of one of my agents to keep the pigs in the middle of the ring to make it easier for the kids to show their pigs. I never knew corralling pigs could be so much fun.   After the swine and sheep shows were over county fair week came to a close.  The next week I attended a camp planning meeting, it was the beginning of being able to see camp from the agent’s side rather than a teen or a staffer standpoint. After the planning we had our orientation with the Junior Counselors and Adult Counselors. After hanging with them for two days I know camp is going to be my favorite week of the summer once again. The next night we had our Clark County Council meeting, it was really neat being able to see how the process of money distribution occurs in our local 4-H. This week has been full of planning and Doing!!!! We planned for our GPS day camp and had a blast teaching the kids about using compasses and GPSs , I think I learned as much as they did about them .  After learning how to use the GPSs, the kids went on a scavenger hunt all around our local park and found the right spots to answer the questions they had. They also found three real geocaches which they really liked. Assisting with this program was so much fun and now I think I can finally SUCCESSFULLY use a compass; it took quite a few attempts. I have learned from this day camp that you may not know very much at the beginning of the programming with but by the time you get done with the class you have learned so much more than you ever thought imaginable. But that's what 4-H is all about learning without even knowing it! So after these to weeks I think I have two new things to add to my list of skills for my resume, pig corraller and GPS navigator, now to see what other skills are in store for the next two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment