Monday, July 7, 2014

A Whole Month Going Full Gear

The month of June was one very packed month and on of a lot of opportunities to better understand extension. In the first part of the month which I posted about I attended 4-H Teen Conference and KY Youth Seminar.

Later in the month was filled with taking students to West Ky 4-H camp for a week and prepping a week for County Fair. In between all this "madness" I managed to teach a Migrant Ed workshop in woodworking and entomology. This lesson was very interesting because the demographic I was working with was one I hadn't worked with before, so the experience was an insightful one. We made foot stool, played bug bingo, and caught/identified insects.

This class was the "buffer" between KY Youth Seminar and 4-H Camp. 4-H camp was an all around interesting experience because this was my first ever stint at any 4-H camp. My overall impression :extremely positive. Having been in charge of leading, organizing, or coordinating various other camps, I was surprised at the opportunities available at 4-H camp and the fluidity of an enjoyable experience paired with educational opportunities. I was also a little partial to the theme of our week, "Wild, Wild West". Was actually surprised because I taught woodworking (planned) and actually taught dummy calf roping all week because students enjoyed us doing it for a few minutes the first night as a relay activity. I cannot write enough about how pleased I was with the opportunity or how much I wish I had attended 4-H camp in my youth, easily an opportunity missed out on.

Upon returning from 4-H camp we had about a week which was filled with meetings and preparing for county fair this week. One of the meetings was to plan cloverbud camp in W. Ky which I will be attending to teach outdoor cooking and once again roping. I also managed to work out the details for a science day camp I hope to have done at the end of July I titled "Mad Scientist meets MacGyver" where I hope to show students what a bit of basic biology, physics, and chemistry knowledge can allow them to turn something like a orange into a candle, or mountain dew into a lantern.

In the next write up I will be telling you all about County fair and what ever else happens in the next two weeks.

Ever excited and always learning,

Loren Gross


No comments:

Post a Comment