Monday, July 7, 2014

My first time at 4H camp

We had a busy weekend and week for sure. Last weekend we took our kids to Cloverbud camp for a couple of days. This was my first time ever going to a 4 H camp, so I didn't know what to expect. That weekend was great. The classes that they had for the kids were all very well taught and went smoothly. The campers had a great time and so did all of the adults. Our cabin of boys were well behaved and did not give us any trouble thank goodness.
We came back Sunday, but I only had about a half of a day till we would be going back with the older kids to 4H camp. That was a much more interesting week. I had a cabin full of young teens along with another adult to try and keep track of them all week. The first day we got all settled in without an trouble and had a great opening day. The first full day was when classes started, so I got to teach basketball to all the kids that signed up for it. Most of them had experience playing before so we didn't have to spend much time on the fundamentals. We played actual games, knock out and horse during the class time.
During the second day, basketball was going great and I had plenty of JC's to help me out. So, I was able to float around to the nearby classes and see what they consisted of. I enjoyed every class I stopped by. We had a lot of fun events during the week. Water Olympics was a big event for the kids to participate in. The staff had come up with different challenges in the pool that they could compete in. We made a giant slip n' slide for them to go down. I went down it numerous times and ended up with a few bruises, but it was worth it. I couldn't wait for the faculty vs. counselor basketball game. Unfortunately I sprained my ankle only a couple minutes into the game, but I wasn't going to let it slow me down.
Overall we had a fantastic week and weekend at the North Central 4H Camp. Everyone enjoyed their time there. I hope that next year I can go back again as an AC.
This week is an important and busy week because Farm City Field Day is Thursday, plus our fair is next week also. The forecast looks perfect for Thursday so I hope that does not change.

Ben Mefford

No comments:

Post a Comment