Thursday, July 24, 2014

My journey isn't quite over yet


While everyone is wrapping up their internship, I still have three more weeks of excitement. But I can honestly say that I have enhanced many of my communication and leadership skills. My agent Mia also discussed this with me yesterday on how much I've improved. It is one of the most amazing feelings to know that this internship really aids my growth as young adult. 

So the pass weeks I have been busy with different task. In which every one of them has it's own unique purpose. For instances I was one of the teachers for camp "We Can" in Ft. Campbell. This camp was designed for children with disabilities. So I was with the arts and crafts portion of the camp. It was amazing to see how creative this children were. I believe that every child should have an equal opportunity to express themselves. Even if it requires modifying task for "exceptional" children. These children I worked with were so energetic that they gave me energy to put forth my best effort. Though I'm 21 I still was excited to participate in making crafts. It let the children know that I am just like them. So I made a dirt buddy, clothes pin reef, sponge art, and a crayon splatter (I gae each craft it's own name) :)! 
 
I also helped plant the pink pumpkin patch. Boy oh boy was it humid and fun when we planted the pumpkins. But I didn't mind getting a little dirty, I was ready for the manual labor ! 

On another scale of this internship, I have the opportunity to fill in for my agent at the challenge houses! Christian County has houses that families build up to make them community centers for generally troubled children. So each home host programs such as this one. The first Tuesday I went I was skeptical about how these terms would react to me. I say this because majority of these teens come from families who are falling short with making their children behave and giving them the support they need. So how would they perceive a college student coming in to talk about college and career readiness. 

But once I shared my story their eyes slightly lit up. All these children need are mentors and programs to keep them on the right path. Many of the youth had plans to attend college. They just have a lack of encouragement and resources, which is what cooperative extension was their for. So I let my agent know that she would be the one who would for perfectly as guiding these children. I could look on plenty of their eyes and see that they yern for support. 

Cooperative Extension hasn't just given me personal growth, it's given the youth across the county that they too can be successful in life!! I am beyond satisfied with Christian County's Extension!

No comments:

Post a Comment