Friday, July 11, 2014

4-H Camp: Aftermath (And My Special Project Plans)


I have to say, the most exhilarating way to kick off my third week of my Internship was 4-H Camp. As always, the camp week was exhausting, but still lots of fun. I’m used to the strain by now, however, since this was my ninth year attending camp. By now, I’ve attended and experienced camp in every way except as an agent and as camp staff, so I think that I’ve become pretty good at it. However, my time as an intern has given me another view into how we prepare for and operate at camp.

                The camping week is a collaborative experience, on a scale that I had not imagined. The agents coordinate with each other on everything. Since we also split cabins with other counties this year, in an attempt to encourage more inter-county friendship, even more collaboration than usual had to be undertaken. A s the only intern in my camping group this year, I got to experience all of the intricacies of planning, and even give my input at times.

                Since camp ended, my work has slowed down considerably. I’m sure that all of my fellow 4-H interns know what I’m talking about. After camp is over, we no longer receive phone calls and visitors asking questions about camp (what does he/she need to bring, when is orientation, etc.). Business becomes more relaxed, and it’s time to start planning for the next project. In this case, it is time to plan for my special project.

                While I have mentioned different ideas that I had been throwing around before, I have decided to focus on two goals which will encompass the rest of my project work.  I will be teaming up with the Menifee Community Theatre Group to produce a play that I have already selected, The 39 Steps. This will involve more teens in the community, something that we have wanted to do for a long time in Menifee County 4-H. The second part of my project is looking to be more organizational. I would like to organize a 4-H Teen Improv Club, which will in turn be able to lead younger 4-Hers in learning the art of theatrical improvisation. Most likely, the club formation and activities will take place after my internship has ended, but hopefully I will be able to function as a club leader as well!
Tyler Wells

No comments:

Post a Comment