Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Healthy Learning and Living


My major summer project that is consistent throughout the summer is the program I was assigned to at the YMCA. Every Thursday I administer a healthy living program to a summer camp at YMCA. There is a range of 20 to 50 children in attendance each week from ages 6 to 15. In these sessions I teach them about nutrition, run through activities that correlates to the lesson, and a physical activity. The first week I taught I was slightly nervous because I know how energetic children can be. But with the help of a few camp instructors and Kendriana we had them under control. My first lesson focusesd on flavor, so I took different types of apples and had each child fill out a worksheet about the 5 senses of the apples. Each child was eager to yell out their answers. In fact believe it or not many just wanted to talk,so why not raise their hands to answer a question. These children welcomed me with opened arms and were ready to learn. It is important that we give the children in this community an opportunity to learn about the well being of self.
Since I am talking about the well being I also have the responsibility of attending the farmers market on Wednesday's with an agent. We prepare a dish out of our cook book to give out samples. Each week we have people come back just to see what dish we have for them and to get a give away. It is also rewarding to have people come to our table just to get information on what Cooperative Extension does or even have questions about different programs we offer.



No comments:

Post a Comment