Friday, June 28, 2013

Where does the time go??

I can't believe that I am already more than halfway through this internship.  I think a lot of us have that same feeling!  The past couple of weeks have been a little slower, but it's definitely not going to stay slow for long!

Last week I had the opportunity to work with the FCS agent here in Morgan County a little more.  We traveled to Bath County for a CEC training on Wednesday and held a rain barrel workshop on Thursday.  The CEC training was very informative and I enjoyed gaining further insight on how agents prepare for council and board meetings in their counties.  Prior to Thursday I worked on gathering the needed supplies for the rain barrels.  I had never made one before so I learned a lot in a short amount of time.  The rain barrel class was a success even thought there were not very many homemakers in attendance.  Summer is such a busy season for everyone!  On Friday I helped the ANR agent work the steers that reside on the extension farm.  During a beef nutrition field day early in May the steers recieved growth implants and UK is monitoring their progress.  I was given the job of working the head gate on the squeeze chute, and I'm proud to say I didn't have one miss!  The Ag. agent was kind enough to give me that job rather than her's (fecal sample collection). Hah!  After working the steers I helped with some landscaping around the office.  Even though this is a temporary home for Morgan County Extension, they still want to make it feel and look a little more welcoming. 

This week has been filled with office duties and preparations for the upcoming events in July.  The Morgan County fair isn't until the last week of August, so unfortunately I will be missing out on all that fun.  All of the fair pictures look like you guys are having a blast!  However, I have been busy with CAIP (County Agriculture Incentive Program) meetings and applications.  The local farm and land owners get very excited when they see the CAIP advertisements in the paper.  I also had the opportunity to conduct a meeting somewhat on my own.  I facilitated the CEC meeting on Tuesday that was held through Adobe Connect.  Even though Gae Broadwater was presenting I still felt accomplished for hosting and preparing for the meeting on my own.  All the council members in attendance said that I did a fine job.  This week we also finally finished cleaning all of the country hams.  Yet again, it was one of the hottest days of the week, but that just makes it more memorable!  Today I am working on Safe Night and making a check list for my special intern project.  I've still got a few weeks to prepare but I'm already beginning to feel anxious. 

I hope you are all having a great summer, I know I am!!

No comments:

Post a Comment