Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summertime Fun!



These past weeks in Woodford County have been nothing short of amazing. Last summer was an eye opening experience for me being that it was my first 4-H experience. Adding to it, this summer has opened my eyes even larger to the impact that 4-H has in the communities in which it serves. Our project days are now in full swing at the office, and I’ve taken it upon myself to not only assist with them but participate! I strongly believe that before you can teach any kind of life skill, you first have to sit in the seat of a student/learner. By placing myself in the position to learn the same skills that my counties 4-H members are learning as allowed me to gain more knowledge necessary for me to have moving forward. Something that I’m extremely proud of is my wood shelf that I made in the Woodworking workshop we had. Although it came pretty much out of a kit, I can say I learned several different things about sanding and power tools that I hadn’t know before. I already have a use for my shelf in my new place, and I can’t wait to display it!

My wood shelf

Another major task I took on was planning and organizing the Teen Conference orientation. This summer Woodford County had the pleasure of accompanying five teens to this year’s conference, which is a big step up from the one teen we took last summer. My goal for this year’s conference was to make sure my teens took full advantage of what the conference had to offer them, but still enjoyed themselves at the same time. I’m proud to say that my teen did just that, and because of such a great experience they all want to return and attend next year’s conference.

Snapshot of me and two other interns at the Teen Conference closing dance
 While on the topic of major 4-H events, my districts camp counselor training was also held in the Franklin County Extension Office. At this training I had the opportunity, along with Michelle the Franklin County 4-H intern, to be a part of the training agenda. Our task for the training was to do icebreakers to acquaint all of our counties adult and junior counselors and CITs.  Our icebreaker was epic, and I would have to say I enjoyed working with another intern on a task used to bring people from different counties together. Our first day of camp is right around the corner, and I can’t wait for it to be here!

Franklin County Office!

Kendriana Price
4-H Youth Development Intern
Woodford County

No comments:

Post a Comment