Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Summer Project Fun

Hello all,

Its been another exciting two weeks here at the Madison County extension office. The first week of June was very busy for me. After reciveing numerous calls about local beekeeping groups and interest, Brandon and Amanda Sears decided that it would be best if I put together some type of beekeeping interest group. We wanted the meeting to be soon, so that week I had to put together flyers, mailings, and newspaper advertisements, so to reach as many beekeepers as possible. The following few days we had to piece together, as best we could, a beekeeping mailing list from those who had taken my class, and the swarm list. Altogether it was a pretty interesting endeavor.  The
Wednesday of that week we received a call from beginning beekeeper who was having trouble with his start-up hive, Brandon and I went out to his residence and helped him best we could, it turned out he just had a bad queen bee. Also that Wednesday we received a call from a local cow/calf producer wanting to know the production and quality differences of growing corn for silage, rather than growing annual ryegrass, followed with a soybean millet mixture that would all by chopped for baleage. That was a pretty interesting scenario to work through, as we had to work through soil nutrient requirements, tonnage of dry matter produced, feed quality, and pricing of all the products needed for production of the two options. Thursday and Friday of that week I was working on more farm visits with producers working on my pinkeye summer project. The project really seems to be going well, most all the producers I have met with have been really receptive to the project and hope as much as I do that something beneficial comes from the study. Friday afternoon Brandon and I had the opportunity to go onto a local radio station and give an update on agriculture in the area. That was a lot of fun and new experience for me. Below are a few pictures from the radio stop and the helping the beekeeper.



The following week was also busy. Monday morning started with a link session with Dr. Burdine, and after that I was able to make three more farm visits with producers on my pinkeye study. Tuesday was also interesting, we met with one of the larger horticulture producers in the county, Margie Balwin, she grows a variety of products, from chirstmas trees, to pumpkins. The rest of the week Brandon and Amanda were off on vacation, so I was able to  answer some phone calls and work with any walkins to the office. That was also a good experience as I recieved calls rangin from tomato production issues, to lawncare problems, and quite a few walkins with tree issues. When I was not answering phone questions I was squeezing in more farm visits with cow/calf producers. The next two weeks will also be full of new experiences as I will be attending 4-H camp for the first time. Til next time, take care. 
  



No comments:

Post a Comment