Tuesday, June 18, 2013

School Programs-Windowsill Gardening (Late Post)

Yikes! So sorry for just now doing my weekly reports everybody, this has slipped my mind.

In my first couple weeks as the Hardin county intern, I hit the ground running on my first day working 14 hours that day. I started my day with school programs at New Highland Elementary teaching the students about the life of a seed and gardening. The activity we used was windowsill gardening where the students ha the opportunity to plant four different types of annual plants. In which the children really enjoyed the activity since if was hands-on and they were able to take it home.


Later on that day, I had the chance to sit in on the State Operation Military Kids (OMK) meeting. OMK is the U.S. Army's collaborative efforts with communities to support children and youth impacted by deployment. What I found neat was that their goal is to connect the military children with the local resources to help find a sense of support and enhance their well-being. As the meeting preceded we discussed upcoming plans for the summer and ways to improve the participation in the program.

Later that evening, we had out 4-H camp leader orientation where I was able to introduce myself and meet the staff that I would be going to camp with. The orientation was great especially with it being accompanied by dinner from Moe's southwest grill. 

As the week progressed leading into next week, my agent and I just continued to do school program of windowsill gardening to finish the school year out.

No comments:

Post a Comment