Monday, June 17, 2013

Extension Is Incredible!!!

Greetings everyone!! I am excited to tell you about the past two weeks of my internship which is going great. Since my last blog I have been extremely busy doing a wide variety of activities. I attended my first shooting sports practice and met some great kids who will be having a county shoot in the near future. I got the chance to spend the day as a counselor at "Camp Kick-It" which is a summer camp for elementary school kids that is based on keeping them active through the summer. I also sat in on my first 4-H council meeting and my second staff meeting.

My fourth week as an intern was my busiest and most exciting so far! I attended my first ever 4-H Teen Conference. It was amazing to see so many youth involved in growing as leaders and simply finding out who they are and where they plan to go in life. I also enjoyed meeting up with some of my fellow interns! During the week of Teen Conference one of my teens and myself stuck together in our tracks and workshops because we were both first timers. She chose the classes and I followed along. Needless to say I found out that I am not a good dancer after I learned how to "Crump" at a track called "Dancing Through Life."

When I got home from conference on Thursday my agenda was full for the weekend. On Friday I headed out to a local dairy farm bright and early with the county Ag. agent to broadcast the importance and magnitude of dairy farming not only in Adair County but all around the state of Kentucky. We spent the rest of the day organizing and setting up for an appreciation picnic for dairy farmers and their families that night. On Saturday the 4-H Spurs held a benefit horse show for a therapeutic riding center called the R.E.A.T.H Center. The Spurs and myself spent the morning setting up for the show and registering riders. We had 27 different classes available for entry and a great turnout for the event.

Throughout the past two weeks I have also spent as much time as possible planning and preparing for my summer project which involves starting the first ever 4-H Land Judging Program in Adair County. I will be collaborating with my 4-H agent and one of the Ag. teachers at the high school to prepare younger children for competition opportunities in 4-H and FFA.

Over the next few weeks I will begin holding meetings for my project, teach a Cloverbud Day Camp, travel to State Dairy Judging and prepare for the County Shoot. My love for Extension continues to grow and I am thankful for the opportunity to work as an intern.







No comments:

Post a Comment