Saturday, June 8, 2013

Week 1,2,3 -Sarah Holbrook, FCS


I know this is long overdue and do I have a lot to tell you all. I have gotten the opportunity to be the FCS intern in Magoffin County this summer. On my first day, we got on the road. We gathered supplies for the events we had coming up on my second day. Talk about needing to be on my game. On that Tuesday, we had a Pink Ribbon Ladies Luncheon to support breast cancer awareness. We prepared lunches and gave away door prizes. Then, we had a Patchwork Playdates group. In this group, kids and their parents come to do activities and get to have playtime. We made mad scientist wraps and slime! Lastly, I got to meet the Junior Homemakers group for their senior sendoff for their graduating seniors. Later that week, I got to help our Senior Citizen Homemakers start prepping a rain barrel for painting. Prepare recipes for the 4-H Foods club consisting of green onions, sugar snap peas, and lettuce. These are all things they are growing in their community garden and the 4-Hers learn how to make the recipes on hand and get to take them home to make again. To finish off week 1, my agent Brooke and I went to Prestonsburg to a Tri-County Diabetes Partnership meeting to discuss their mission statement and get caught up on steps the counties- Magoffin, Floyd, and Johnson-can do to increase diabetes education and prevention in these areas.
Now that week 1 is finished it was on to week 2. I attended an NEAFCS lunch meeting in Lexington and got to sit in on the ends and outs of how a committee goes about setting up a national conference. Later that day, we met with the community and economic development liasion from UK to help develop the action plan for the Tri-County Diabetes Partnership. Throughout the rest of the week, I was able to get started on planning 4-H Day Camp for the summer. I have been told it's all me. I have decided on an adventurers theme complete with pirate day, archaeologist digs, and nature explorers. Also, I wrote my first newsletter article for the Extension newsletter and got to introduce myself to the community.
Finally to finish up my first post, I want to tell you about week 3. Firstly, I got to instruct our 4-H Foods Club in making strawberry freezer jam and eat it on biscuits. All the kids got to take home plenty of freezer jam. Earlier that day, I went with Brooke and an associate to scout out donations from the community for the Relay for Life Cancer Survivors dinner we will be putting on in a few weeks. The community is being very supportive and gave quite a few donations. Hopefully, there will be more to come. The rest of my week was spent at 4-H camp at Feltner with 15 campers and several helpful counselors.
I am enjoying my time with Magoffin County and there is still so much more to come. Can't wait to tell everyone more!

No comments:

Post a Comment