Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Constant Motion in the Office of Diversity: Xavia Gantz

Last Friday marked the end of my first two weeks as a summer intern in the Office of Diversity in the College of Agriculture, Food, and Environment. It has been very exciting to say the VERY least. I've seen more of Kentucky in a two week period than I have as a resident for nearly three years. I traveled to Bullit County for the Urban Action Team meeting and was able to get an inside look at Extensions plan to urbanize and diversify rural areas of Kentucky. I traveled to Todd County to assist Dr. Tyler in delivering their Extension Office a Diversity Award. I traveled to Christian County and was honored to speak to Jr. MANRRS member about striving for success in their near futures. 
Upon my arrival back from out of the country I hit the ground running assisting Dr. Tyler, Dr. Williamson, and Ms. Pulliam in planning and organizing the Kentucky Youth Seminar. I was responsible for forming the notebook of registration and copies of checks, room assignments, case studies, planning campus tours, reserving vans, typing up and faxing sheets to Risk Management and Commons Market, sending letters to speakers, making name and table tags, putting together county folders that included dorm room assignments and board case assignment, and making copies for and  putting together the NICE folders. 
Additionally, I worked with Christian County 4-H Youth Development Agent Antomia Farrell during TEEN Conference.
 I assisted in the student tour of the Joe Craft Center: 
I assisted Antomia in teaching a professional development workshop and had a great time! The students were very bright! 
I attended the State Office Elections Banquet with Antomia and other County Extension Interns.
I also helped facilitate wherever and whenever Antomia needed my help.
I was privileged to be granted the opportunity to judge the State FFA Agriscience Fair with Dr. Tyler at Rupp Arena. I met some highly intelligent freshman and sophomore students with very impressive research projects. 
On Thursday I attended the closing ceremony of TEEN Conference and said goodbye to the 4-Hers and my fellow classmates. 
On Friday I helped give a tour to the William T. Young Scholars of the College of Agriculture. We visited the Meat Lab in Garrigus and the Equine Center. I also presented a PowerPoint Presentation to the student of the College of Agriculture, Food, and Environment and the many majors, scholarships, facilities, and organizations we have to offer. I really enjoyed answering the students questions about college and high school and plan to get them involved with Jr. MANRRS.
As an intern for the Office of Diversity I am nothing short of busy and constantly interactive, but I am loving every minute of it and getting a great inside look of Extension and the many opportunities it has to offer! 














No comments:

Post a Comment