Friday, June 21, 2013

Week 5 and 6!




Hello! 

Week 5!

I helped with a track during 4-H teen conference. It was about Plate It Up! Kentucky Proud. The first day the teens learned about vitamins and mineral, did a activity on buying local and also learned about portion sizes. After the classroom work we took a trip to the Lexington Farmer’s market where they bought the ingredients for the Plate It Up recipes they made the next day. Last semester I took a class at UK that helped test Plate It Up recipes and change them so they are healthier with fresh fruits and vegetables grown in KY. Seeing recipes that had been tested in past semesters from the same class was really cool. I also enjoyed helping the teens when they had questions about their recipes.

 Teens making a grocery list                    All of us at the Farmer's Market












 

Teens making their recipes

                                                                                                 Strawberry Salsa (Plate It Up Recipe)

 Week 6!

I have been working on the 2014 Food and Nutrition Calendar this summer. On Tuesday we prepared all 12 recipes that will be featured in next years calendar. The graphic artist and professional photographers spent hours on setting up the food in different dishes and taking the perfect picture for the calendar. I was in charge of making two recipes and they turned out really good!

 
Strawberry Trifle                                                                                 Garden Platter                                       

Special Project!

My special project this summer is writing new curriculum for Literacy Eating Activity for Primary (LEAP).  At the beginning of my internship I updated the old ones and became familiar with the curriculum. I chose two new books “How Groundhogs Garden Grew” and “Pizza at Sally’s”. I had to write a lesson plan for the facilitator as well as a newsletter for the children to take home to their parents. The newsletters are very informational and teach the parents about nutrition as well.   Being a dietetics major helped me write the curriculum because I used my knowledge that I learned in class.The new children's books for LEAP for each county were also shipped this week so guess who got to count all 1,800 of them..... ME!





No comments:

Post a Comment