Wednesday, June 19, 2013

One Month and Counting!!!!

I’ve hit my one month mark! I’ve been an intern for a full four weeks, and the experiences just keep getting better and better. My third week in the office was much like the weeks before. We worked hard in preparing for camp, project days and kids cooking camp. I’ve done everything from putting bracelet packages together for 375 4Hers, to assembling grills for kids cooking camp. I also worked on finalizing the speakers for my special project. We have ladies coming to speak to the kids about skin care, wardrobe and accessorizing, and tips on walking the runway. I felt relieved when I finally got that taken care of. I think the kids will have a good time with the Fashion Review. I sat in on the Teen Counselor Orientation for camp. I learned an awful lot about what is expected from the Counselors. I really appreciated the orientation. Since I have never been to camp, or any sort of camp, I learned a lot about what I should expect when attending camp. To say the least, it sounds like we will have bunches of fun. 
I also had the privilege of working with our FCS agent for a Gluten Free cooking class. It was great! I learned a lot about Sicilia disorder and the reasons why people choose to live a gluten free lifestyle. We prepared a gluten free pineapple upside-down cake that was to die for, gluten free stir fry over wheat rice and gluten free Mac N’ Cheese. We also had some gluten free cookies provided by our guest speaker. They were to die for! I never imagined Gluten free food would taste so good, but much to my surprise, it was delicious!
The following week we attended Teen Conference at the University of Kentucky. This experience was nothing like what I expected. I got to be a part of various workshops and activities, which I actually liked to my surprise. I was able to use a sewing machine for the first time, and sewed my first quilt, made from bandannas. It’s so cute! I then was able to participate a workshop called “Runway Fashionista,” in this workshop we were given patterned tape, burlap, and tissue paper to make the best possible outfits in a certain amount of time. They rocked! I was so amazed at how creative they were. I really enjoyed the fact that I was able to learn from them. It is very obvious that 4-H teaches some amazing life skills to these young adults. They are very skilled.
Overall, I am enjoying my internship, not a dull moment yet. Next week we have project days where we will make everything from Terrariums to bird houses. This should be fun. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment