Friday, June 14, 2013

Getting My Feet Wet :)

Hey guys!

Mollie here, in Pike County. I know you all have been dying to read my next post so here it is.

My past two weeks have been quite adventurous (what else do you expect in extension)! I have sat in on a read-through with one of the local theaters for the upcoming Hatfield and McCoy drama, weeded the garden, and baked delicious biscuits with my amazing preceptor, Leslie. If anyone wants to learn how, I need practice teaching before I try and make them for my family!  As you can quickly tell, I am getting my feet wet in quite the range of extension facets.

Currently, I am planning my summer project! I am going to create a cooking class for those parents who want to learn new and healthy recipes for their families. I will tie in a chemistry component about how each main ingredient affects the body and why we need the nutrients we do. Hopefully, we will have a good showing the first time and will attract more people! What do you all think? Any suggestions?

Valarie, one of the FCS agent assistants, and I just finished at Kimper Elementary where we taught children ages 5-14 about nutrition and building healthy lifestyles. This was one of my favorite weeks thus far. All the kids were so intrigued by our salt and sugar viles. After they saw how much sugar was in a 12-ounce coke, they swore they would never drink one again. HA! The little ones loved story time. Below I am reading about Clarabella the crocodile who takes all day to brush all her teeth (lesson was on sugar and the importance of brushing our teeth).  They also enjoyed learning more about fruits and vegetables and what each looks, feels, and tastes like.  You’d be amazed by how many children don’t know the difference between a fruit and a vegetable, let alone what some look like.


The older age group found diabetes very interesting.  Each of them knew someone who had been affected by it or who had it.  Educating them on how to prevent and reverse diabetes was eye-opening and educational to say the least.   The entire camp was a very fulfilling experience and I look forward to teaching again!


Looking ahead: 


Today, I am developing nutrition classes for the YMCA next week.  They are asking us to come in to teach the teenagers and young children about creating healthy habits.  I’m excited to educate our young population on these important topics!  I think I have found one of my loves of dietetics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment