Monday, June 10, 2013

Swine Show and 4H Camp!


Hey Everyone. Sorry my post is a few days late. I have been at Camp all week and just able to sit down and do this blog. So to start out, it has been a very busy last couple weeks. We had First Year Camper Orientations which went so awesome. I loved all the new campers and we got to play my favorite game, the Toilet Paper Game! Why is it my favorite? Because you take as many sheets as you want and have to tell one thing about yourself for each sheet. Then the next night we had adult and teen leader orientation. That was so much fun. We did a team building exercise by making a Little Caesars pizza in a group and working together. We also baked brownies and went over everything that was expected of the volunteers. Throughout the week we had also been cleaning up our fairgrounds for the Rough River District Swine Show. That was a total project in itself. We replaced gates, made new stalls, set up metal pens that were needed for the show, put down mulch, cleaned bathrooms, and probably more that I cannot think of. Then on that Thursday I got to go to my home, Rifle. J I love that place and got to meet some of the kids and help out on coaching since I have a strong 1st place history in shooting. Of course we also travelled around to tobacco float beds and Carol taught me the difference between Fescue and Daniel Rye Grass. I made a poster board of the sponsors for the swine show and on Saturday it was full blown. It was raining, and EVERYONE came out. We had around 268 animals, and it was packed! It was fun and interesting to learn about showmanship and what makes a good market animal or breeding animal. The Rabbit club came out and did concessions, and they profited well. It was a long day, a very long day.



                The next week on Monday, Alex and I were finishing up everything needed for 4H camp that was the next day. I am pretty sure that I murdered the copy machine. But Alex was very organized and once at camp paperwork went through with no problems. I was so excited to make it back to camp. And I was hoping it would be the same, but it wasn’t but the kids were great for the most part, and I had fun getting to visit all the classes. We did have a couple snags, one kid was allergic to bees and another didn’t have his inhaler. But they were able to stay the week and had a blast!
Bryant sallying

Alex shooting for the first time




wheelbarrel race!

me and alex canoeing






checkin and lice checks
alex sallying with bryant




Oh yeah! And I got Alex to shoot a rifle for the very first time and get in a Canoe! I love canoeing! I was so sad that I couldn’t Sally though because of my ankle. It would’ve been so much fun to do again, but Alex did for the first time! It was a fabulous way to end the week. And on Saturday after just getting home from camp, I was up bright and early for the Breck. Co Trap and Archery Invitational. Our kids did EXCELLENT and kept most of the trophies in our county. I’m very proud. I’m excited about what all is to come! I’ll let ya know.


No comments:

Post a Comment