Monday, June 24, 2013

I Survived County Fair!!

It's been another two weeks! Wow, how time flies. The last two weeks have been crazy busy. The Shelby County Fair just ended this past weekend and it was quite an adventure. My only experience with fairs before this point was the Kentucky State Fair. From the moment I arrived as an intern, the office was buzzing with chatter about the approaching event, but in my head I couldn't picture what a county fair looked like. Needless to say, it is extremely different from the state fair. My first day at the fair I was introduced to the cow show. I truly thought this was one of the most exciting displays I've seen in a long while. By now, the office knows that animals are not my favorite. But, seeing so many children and youth in their white, completely dedicated to the task of showing these massive animals, really showed me how beneficial 4H is to youth. The youth had been working with these animals for months and they really had to have a passion for what they were doing in order to learn the skills necessary to do it properly. In addition to this, I got the chance to act as a judge in floral hall, and help with the rabbit show. Although it was just a taste of what others in the office have done for years, it was definitely exciting to get the opportunity to participate.

In addition to this, I began my intern project last week. I will be doing my version of UK's Weight: The Reality Series. It is a small-scale version of what the university has laid out. Over the next 5 weeks, participants will receive weekly nutrition classes, in an attempt to promote healthy living. Each participant is to keep weekly food journals and physical activity charts. Each week we weigh-in to keep track of any change seen in the participants. Additionally, we are offering a few fitness classes at the extension office, including kickboxing and zumba, to encourage people to get out and moving. The individual that shows the most commitment and improvement will receive a free 3 month membership to the Family Activity Center--the local gym--and a free fitness consultation from Bethany Tucker--a Shelby Co. agent and certified personal trainer. I have high hopes that, over the next few weeks, the program will continue to grow. I also am extremely hopeful that his program will truly help people make impactful changes in their lifestyle.

Until next time!

--Kameron White

No comments:

Post a Comment