Saturday, June 8, 2013

Weeks 3 and 4, 4-H Camp

    So guys this was the first day of 4-H camp, we met at the extension office to wait on the bus to get ready to go.  I was pumped, I have always been heavily involved with 4-H camp having been there as a camper for 4 years and a teen leader for 5 years.  So we all get to the office and the bus is late, which just wore on my nerves because I was excited to get there, so we got on the road and arrive just slightly late.  I immediately begin to realize that my experience as an adult will be much different that my experience as a teen or a camper.  I am made aware that I will be teaching the fishing class which I was excited about as a camper I always enjoyed the fishing course.  Immediately after the kids were settled in and had gotten to free swim and free recreation I began see the kids having a great time and it reminded me of all the great times that I used to have at the camp and it really touched me to see kids continuing to have the opportunity to be a part of this wonderful program that I always enjoyed and had memories of.
    The next morning I began having fishing class the kids were absolutely wonderful everyone was ready to participate and enthusiastic to be there.  And right off the bat kids began catching fish, a young man Kordell really stood out to me he had been on the dock for 20 minutes and had just been pulling the fish in catching 4 in that time frame, but everyone was doing great! All the kids were catching fish and being safe with their rods.  It was like this for the entire week it was great to see them having such a good time and participating and it was like this all day long through all three classes.  My third class may have been the most impressive, the days had gotten hot the fish were not biting overly well but the kids were troopers and were determined despite the heat nearly all the kids stuck with us on the dock and were trying hard to get a few catches and some did!  It was great to see some campers in my third class have success in the face of adversity.
    I had an absolute awesome time at camp despite my new role as a adult leader, but by Friday I was ready to get home.  I helped all the campers get their bags packed and their belongings together and loaded on the trailer.  The campers in my cabin were so great everyone had a good time and when it was time for bed they went to bed, and on Friday morning they got the cabin clean quick so we could get to lunch.  And after the bus being late AGAIN we got on the road back home with everyone accounted for and tired haha.  I was ready for the weekend to rest.
    This last week began a series of meetings and trainings and home visits.  This week was very taxing mentally as opposed to 4-H camp week being very taxing physically.  However it was nice to have the time to sit in and listen to some very interesting talks and able myself to learn and have a broader spectrum of information to be able to draw from later in life.  What I found to be the most interesting was the economic development meeting Thursday morning at the country music museum off highway 23.  This was a meeting directed on what we as a region needed to do to try to bring large scale industry to our region.  Which from what I understood would be a hard undertaking but one that could definitely pay off due to amount of jobs brought to the area and the excess of workers due to the failing mines in the region.
    These last 2 weeks were the difference between night and day but I enjoyed every second of it I absolutely love the atmosphere of being in extension and have never been bored or bothered by the jobs I have been assigned since I’ve been at work, I hope that the jobs stays as awesome for the rest of the summer as it is now!  Man so far its been awesome I hope everyone is having a great of a time as I am!
-Michael Conway

No comments:

Post a Comment