Friday, June 7, 2013

Never a dull moment...

Hello again!  I am getting back in the groove of things after being gone May 26th through June 2nd.  I had the opportunity to travel out west to Oklahoma and Texas through a week long course taken through Morehead State University.  We toured the Tyson Beef Packing Plant, Monsanto, Braum’s Dairy, and Texas Tech University along with many other sites.  Unfortunately, we did see devastation from the tornados and even experienced a bad hail storm.
After being on the trip and coming back to the office on Monday, I was quite worn out.  This week has been filled with mailing out reminder cards, making copies of papers, and running errands.  On Tuesday night the 4th, we traveled to Harrison County for the counselor orientation meeting which was something new to me being that I have never been to camp. Along with all of that I had the chance to get out of the office and visit a local cattle producer that is fairly new to the business to discuss pasture management, fencing, and ponds. 
Out of all the things I completed this week, being able to help with a seed corn plot in Mason County was by far the neatest thing.  Shelby Clifford (Robertson Co. Intern) and I worked along the side of the Lewis, Robertson, Mason, and Bracken Ag agents to get the job completed.  Being able to get my hands dirty while talking to the farmer was by far the highlight of my week. 
Oops, me and Shelby learned we're not very good at pouring seed corn back into the bag. J

I hope everyone’s internships are going great and that you are enjoying working with some of the best people in the state of Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment