Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Kentucky is Smilin' on Me

First off I have been having so much FUN staying busy here in Franklin County and I apologize for this late post!!

I started my first week here in Franklin County on May 28th, 2013 (yes I know this post is long over due). My intern supervisor is Whitney McKoy, she has been an agent in Franklin County for a little over 2 years. She has been a great mentor; she also explains thoroughly the responsibilities of a 4-H Agent. My first week was filled with meetings. I had ample time to meet the staff in Franklin County during our weekly Staff Meetings. I was greeted with big smiles and a warm welcome. Which was such a treat coming from North Carolina. On Wednesday, I attended a robotics meeting with the other 4-H Agent, Leslie Reynolds, at The Frankfort Christian Academy. One thing I learned in my first week is that 4-H is a great resource for teachers and schools to try different clubs and activities. The fluidity and freedom of 4-H is exciting and rewarding. Along with the robotics meeting we also went to Hearn Elementary, where we met with teachers to discuss environmental camps for the Fall. During the first week I also got to meet the wonderful Teens of Teen Club. In this internship, I have realized how much of a teen I still am at heart (laughs). At the meeting, they went over the responsibilities of officers next year and new programs they want to see.

My second week was filled with PLANNING! Planning for 4-H Camp which I am SUPER excited for because it will be my first time! We started the week of with a staff meeting and an agents meeting. The agents meeting consisted of just agents discussing what's happening in Franklin County and what needs to be resolved within the office. On Tuesday, I was introduced to other great 4-H agents from Scott County (Alison Johnson, Sharon Flynt), Owen County (Jessi Williams), and Woodford County (Jenny Cocanougher). I also had my first fellow intern encounter with Kendriana from Woodford County! At the camp planning meeting we also discussed Camp Counselor Training. AFter camp planning, we had a 4-H Council Meeting. 4-H Council makes a lot of things possible for our 4-Hers so we love them!! Later in the week I had another fellow intern encounter with Marquel from Jefferson County to plan for Teen Conference! During this week we held two camper orientations and a camp counselor training training. This was really fun! Kendriana and I had some fun ice breakers for them to play and we got to meet the people who will be volunteering with our campers! I also got to attend my FIRST DISTRICT 4 HORSE SHOW!! Talk about Horse Country, I loved it! The number one top thing I wanted to do when I came out here was ride horses and in my first week I'm greeted by 30 different riders and horses :)

Welp in next week's (Friday) edition of Kentucky Livin' we will discuss Teen Conference and Project Days, the fun is never ending here in Franklin County, lovin' my internship with UK!!

No comments:

Post a Comment