Tuesday, June 18, 2013

What a week! (Well two weeks!)

As I am typing this blog entry, I do realize it is late. With that, I can honestly say I have not had time to catch my breath since the last blog! I am writing this and eating lunch at the same time if that says anything! The past two and a half weeks have been a whirlwind of awesome. I have had my hand in every aspect of extension, what an experience!

MileStones Day Horse Camp
Since I last wrote I have participated in several interesting opportunities. I have gotten to take part in the summer feeding program at a low income high school in our area where we made trail mix and talked about bike safety. I put together the flyers that we handed out to the families, which was a lot of fun.

In Campbell County, the FACS agent and a horticulture assistant do a program called Flower Buds. Mothers bring their younger children with the to this program. They are split up, moms stay in one room, children in another, then they come together to do an activity together. When i helped with the program, we talked to the mothers about sun safety and the importance of sunscreen. We also got to look at each other's faces in a DermaScan to see where we had areas of concern for skin cancer. Together the moms and children planten a potted herb garden for their homes.

Prior to finding out that the toothpaste has to go BACK in the tube!
During all of these activities I was still putting the finishing touches on my workshop for Teen Conference! Attending TC as an intern was an experience that went full circle for me. I had been as a delegate  a State Teen Council member, and now as an intern. For TC I taught and had teens complete the True Colors personality test. They were very receptive to the concept of the test and what they could learn from the test. This was very pleasing to me, because I was nervous that they would not enjoy the activity. After completing the personality test, they were split up into their color and discussed as a "color" what they needed from others and what others should know about them. Then they were broken into another group where each group wrote a word on a piece of card stock and decorated it with toothpaste. What they did not know was they had to put the toothpaste back into the tube after they had decorated the paper. The concept was to talk about team work and that we often do not think before we speak and we cannot take back what we say. Taking back what you say is as hard as putting toothpaste back in the tube. All of the participants enjoyed the activity.
Campbell County Delegation at
Teen Conference!

When I got back from TC another whirlwind began because my summer project, my day camp was on the coming Monday. I was putting together my day camp when we return from TC and made sure everything was together as well because Friday I went to horse camp, a first for me! I really like horse camp and it was amazing to see what they 4-Hers got out of the camp as well. Saturday I also was able to participate in a multi-state river sweep of the Ohio River which took place at Pendery Park in Campbell County. We had about 25 people come out to participate at the clean up. It was nice to see so many people so willing to give back.

The minis rocked their ball caps!
Monday was finally the time for me to teach my day came which I titled, "Eat Between the Lines." The concept of the camp was for participants to try different foods from different books that may have read or are planning on reading. I choose food from Charlotte's Web, Harry Potter, The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, How to Eat Fried Worms, and The Hunger Games Trilogy. Some of the items were real food, others where just goofy mimics to represent food. I made "fried worms" with cooked paste that was battered and fried and butterbeer. The other items were able to be purchased pre-made. They included Turkish Delight, chocolate covered bugs (yes, they were real, no I did not eat them!), jelly beans, pickled eggs, and cotton candy to mention a few! The kids also got to learn about edible flowers from one of the horticulture assistants that I asked to help out. After a small break we made popcorn on the stove and they got to put toppings on it then we read a book together as well. All in all, I think the camp went exceptionally well!

The 4-Hers played chin apple
and spoon and egg carry
I have found that every aspect of extension that I have been helping with I always learn something new. Whether it is about the topic at hand of even about myself. I have learned how to better manage a classroom, when to change topic, or how to even change my tone while teaching. On the other hand I have also learned that to be a good leader and teacher, you have to have people engaged in what you are teaching. There is a delicate balance that you have to discover on your own on how to approach this, it cannot be taught.

Until next time!

Ashley

Myself and the participants of "Eat Between the Lines"
Just some of the litter at river sweep!









No comments:

Post a Comment