Monday, June 24, 2013

Weeks 5 & 6 at the Floyd County Office

As the middle of my internship approaches, I have begun preparing for 4H camp (July 1 – 4), continued weight loss programs, my special project and much more! I also had a wonderful visit from Dr. Cherry Smith for my summer intern visit and what a pleasure it was meeting her!
In the fifth week of my internship, as part of my special project, I visited the Prestonsburg Senior Citizens Center for the second time to do a nutrition lesson over “Fiber.” I also visited the Mud Creek Senior Citizens Center where I did a nutrition lesson over “Low-fat Diets” and plan on going back on July 16 to do a nutrition lesson over “Low Sodium Diets: Cooking with Herbs.” Another exciting thing that happened this week was Kids Day at the Farmer’s Market. We collaborated with the St. Vincent Missionary to create an event that made the Farmer’s Market an exciting environment for children. This was also giving the children the opportunity to interact with the farmers and learn where their food comes from. We had crafts, storytelling, games, and face painting. I was in charge of the crafts station where we did card stamping with fruits and vegetables. The fruits and vegetables that were used during this event were saved for compost. So, no food was wasted!
In the sixth week of my internship, I attended a Media Youth Smart Day Camp at Osborne Elementary with the Floyd County EFNEP Assistant, Judy McGuire. During this camp, the children learned about how the media can affect their foods choices. I also attended an Agent Training in Bath County where I met our District Direct, David Adams! This was my very first Agent Training. I met so many delightful Agents in the 1st District and had the opportunity to experience what it is like to be behind the scenes of a County Agent.

No comments:

Post a Comment