Monday, June 3, 2013

Henderson County 4-H Camp


Hey y'all!

Hope everyone is having a great summer because I know I am! Being involved in Extension is a very busy job, but I would not trade it for the world. Like I said in my last blog, I have already had so many opportunities. This past week I was fortunate enough to receive another wonderful opportunity which was being an adult leader at 4-H Camp in Western Kentucky. 4-H Camp is a great experience for both kids and adult/teen leaders. I know the kids at 4-H Camp had a great time and I know I did as well. It was a week full of fun, learning, and dedication. We had very good weather for the week which made the week even better. I am so glad that I had the opportunity to work with the little girls that I had. They were a lot of fun and I learned as much from them as they did from me.

The kids did many activities during the week such as swimming, crafts, archery, horseback riding, ropes, and so much more. I had the opportunity to be able to help with the crafts class during the week. The craft that the kids and I made was a whirly jig which is pictured below. It was made out of plastic canvas, string, and beads. The idea of the whirly jig was for the kids to make them and then take them home to hang on their front porch so the wind could make them whirl. I had so much fun doing this craft with the kids. It was a craft that took much patience and dedication and the kids did such a great job with it!



Another topic that I will cover in my blog is my irrigation research project.  Now that most crops are in the ground I am now able to finally jump in on my project and get started! I am now meeting with farmers and am getting the materials and equipment put together for it.  I am excited to see what is to come in this project.  I will be keeping you up to date on the progressions of my project!

In closing, I will say the past few weeks have been very busy and I have loved every minute of it! I cannot say enough that I am so appreciative for this opportunity.  I hope that all of your internships are going as great as mine and that all of you are having fun.  Have a great week!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment