Friday, June 27, 2014

You know what they say, "Time Flies...." Weeks 3 & 4

Wow! It's already been two weeks since I've posted my last blog?!? You have got to be kidding me! This internship is flying by at the Floyd County office! The past two weeks have been just as exciting as the first new as I am usually doing something different each day.

Week 3

Week 3 may have been my favorite week thus far into the internship (following closely behind is week 2). My third week was full of day camps in Floyd County - these have been so much fun and has been my favorite experience! Monday and Tuesday, June 16th and 17th, I headed with Heather to Prestonsburg Elementary School, where we began our day camp - Fun Science! The children were all so excited and energetic and seemed to have so much fun! I was able to help a couple of the kids build their "Frankensteins" out of boxes we have been saving - it was a lot more difficult than it sounds, but also very fun. The kids have also been building their own volcanoes! The next two days, we spent the mornings having day camp at Betsy Layne Elementary School. This was also a really great bunch of kids - by this point, I was becoming a pro at making box monsters.

I also went to my first adult camp training during week 3. I can finally say that I am getting a little bit excited about camp - I am still kind of nervous because I have never been, but I have faith that it will be a blast!

Week 4
We packed up and headed to the Maytown Center on Monday and Tuesday for another day camp! There were significantly less kids at this camp (only 11, as opposed to around 30 for the others), but these kids packed quite a punch with their personality, so it was equally as fun! I had never been to Maytown, so I really enjoyed getting so see a new place. The rest of the week, I helped Heather organize and plan for more overnight camp stuff. I am also working on my special project. I am doing a newsletter that provides tips on how to afford college for parents and students. It is something that I have been wanting to do for quite some time and I am thankful that I am finally getting the opportunity to do so! Brandy and I were able to sit down one day and work on choosing songs for the camp slideshow....this was much more difficult than it sounds. We are now in the process of learning how to mix songs together for camp and we have not made much progress. I will let you know next time if this was a success of a huge flop!



From both weeks, I learned a couple of things. First, I learned that kids will do anything to win a prize! We took several weird fruits (pluots, mango, plantains, pomegranate, and papaya) for the kids to try and if they successfully tried it all, they would win a prize. You would be amazed at the amount of kids who forced themselves to eat something they didn't like! However, most of the kids LOVED a couple of things - I think we were successful in getting them to try new foods! Secondly, I was able to see again just how different all kids are in so many different ways - having thirty kids packed into one room will surely open your eyes to that realization.







Until Next Time,
Tyler Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment