Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Hit the Ground Running! -Breann Litzinger

During the spring semester I was so thrilled when I was informed that I received an Internship position with the University of Kentucky and the Cooperative Extension. Leaving in Morehead and attending Morehead State University while also working in the Morehead Community I was excited to find out that I would be put in my home community of Bracken County for this internship. This not only let my broaden my knowledge about agriculture and extension but allows me to spend time with my family and community that I have missed so much.

The first couple of days on the job I was immediately introduced to the future of agriculture. I was able to attend the Alltech conference in Lexington with my Ag agent David Appelman. The two days we attended were by far so educational that I would encourage everyone to try and attend it at least once. There are so many plans and ideas about the future of agriculture and Alltech is trying so much to implement them. I was almost overwhelmed with some of the ideas and plans introduced. Its hard to imagine drones and robots doing the labor and tractors driving there selves, to even being able to monitor your farm on your smart phone.

Once returning back to the office it by no means slowed down. I was able to assist David with setting up and planting the cover crop demonstration that will be monitored and then presented to the farmers and the community about new ideas of cover crops that might help the farmers. I am working alongside him with record keeping and making posters and charts to help aid during the presentation that will be conducted in the fall.

Although it seems I work a lot with my Ag agent I am actually taking advantage of every opportunity here at the office. I am working with Rebecca the county 4-H agent and also with Shannon the county FCS agent. I never have a dull moment here and every day is a new opportunity and new experience. One day I may be cleaning country hams (which I did) and the next I may be attending an herb cooking lesson with homemakers (which I also did!).

The weeks are flying by and finding a moment to take a breath can sometimes be challenging but with this awesome opportunity I wouldn't have it any other way !!   

No comments:

Post a Comment