Friday, June 6, 2014

My First Two Amazing Weeks As An Intern!

I jumped right in to my internship the day after Memorial Day. I thought I knew what I was getting myself into being a 4-H alumni member and volunteer but a lot more goes on behind the scenes than I ever knew about.On my first day the great support staff at the office gave me the run through on using the printer, copier, and how to mail letter from the office.While Carole, the 4-H agent, gave me a  tour of the building I spent most of my childhood in. But what made my first day amazing was seeing the centennial posters with all the previous agents and my mother being listed as a past 4-H and Ag Agent in Meade County.


During my first week I dived head on in to working in extension. The second day on the job myself and all of the Meade County Extension Agents traveled to Campbellsville for District 5 Staff meeting. We spent an entire day there going over various regulations and protocols while also getting to know some of the new coworkers in the district. All of the interns from District 5 attended this meeting and I was very pleased to know all of them and find things in common with them. I got to help with a new program in my county which I have no previous experience with, the country ham project. Both Meade County and LaRue County washed their hams together. I got to help with our counties extra hams washing and scrubbing the rub off of them while also assisting the 4-H members with their hams.

Then on Friday I got to attend a Teen Conference planning meeting with Breckinridge County in Hardinsburg. We worked very closely with planning for preparing our teens for conference. Saturday had to be one of the best days of my week because I got to work the Rough River District Swine Show with Tammy Curry, Breckinridge County Intern. I have attended this show for over 10 years and I couldn't have asked for a better way to end my week than by announcing for the show all day. I got to help kids with getting their animals weighed and into the show ring on time. We had a great turnout and an awesome time working with Breckinridge County Extension on this show.

My second week started out slower with two of the agents being out of the office for two days. But I still
found something to do and counted and sorted over 100 wood kits for our woodworking day camp. Following that me and one of the support staff members organized and discarded old items in one of our storage rooms to make space for the new wood kits. On June 4th I was out of the office all day since I traveled to the Lake Cumberland 4-H Camp with Lindsay, LaRue Counties Intern, to plan our camp class. While at camp we located and identified many tree species and created a lesson plan for our class. We decided we would do a scavenger hunt where the kids in the class had to located the correct tree and bring a leaf back to us. Following that we would do leaf prints with paint so the kids could remember those trees and take that home with them from camp. Yesterday I was in the office all day but had a Teen Conference Orientation meeting at Breckinridge County Extension Office to speak to all of the delegates about what to expect. It was very different for me to be at this meeting as an intern since I was a delegate for 4 years. But we had a great time playing icebreakers me and Tammy put together. I have had a great first two weeks and it will only get better from here with Teen Conference and Camp in the near future!

Lydia Richardson
Meade County Extension Intern

No comments:

Post a Comment