Monday, June 2, 2014

Luau Party, Canning, and Much More!

My second and third week in Woodford County involved a lot of canning! The Monday of my second week I helped my agent set-up and prepare for a Canning 101 session. I learned a lot about canning that first day, but I eventually became an (almost) expert! I went to a Women's Health Program that my agent was teaching and learned a lot about portions, how to maintain a healthy weight, and about UK's FREE Ovarian Cancer screening (who knew?!). The program was a successful event at the public library and left the women fulfilled and satisfied with their health questions.

On Wednesday of my second week, I attended the District 4 staff meeting in Fayette County. I was welcomed by the District 4 Director and other smiley and friendly faces. At the meeting, all the interns were introduced by their agents and then the interns told a little bit about themselves. The meeting ended with a heart warming speech by the District 4 Director, Roger, and his announcement of his retirement. Many eyes were filled with tears leaving many faces wet and red. It was amazing to hear his speech and see everyone be a tight knit, "extension family." After the staff meeting, we broke out into agent groups, which eventually led to a breakout area meeting session. The meeting was filled with ideas and planning. I joked to several of the agents sitting beside me that I felt awkward for not having a planner (or two). After the break out group meeting, some of the FCS agents went out to lunch at FirstWatch. The food and conversation was definitely awesome to say the least.



On Thursday, I was introduced to the Home Makers. The annual meeting was a Luau planned by two of the groups who did an amazing job! The meeting was filled with great food, music, conversation, and of course, business. When I walked into the meeting I was given a flip flop name tag, a lei, and a flower hair pin. The Home Makers were very friendly and wanted me to take several pictures. I listened to Blue Grass music for the first time and saw women over 60 dance and do the twist!

  
       







My third week, was all about CANNING! We began with Canning 101 and then three days of Canning Camp. The participants made Bread and Butter Pickles, Low Sodium Pickles, Traditional Salsa, Strawberry Jam (YUM), Grape Jelly, Chicken, and Green Beans. The jars all sealed (which is lovely for a canner) and looked pretty yummy. It was a fun filled week with fun people. Before doing the camp, my agent and I went to the Farmer's Market to pick up fresh veggies and fruits. We also went to Kroger and a local store, "Terry's" , to get other supplies. One day my agent and I ate at a local pharmacy/corner deli and their milkshakes were GREAT!













My third week, also consisted of attending Teen Conference Orientation and Hispanic Family Night. Teen Conference seems like it's going to be a lot of fun. My track is "Getting Fit" and my workshops are "Color Your Way to Calm" and "CSI: Biotechnology". Which I am looking forward to all three, but CSI sounds a tad bit more fun! Hispanic Family Night was filled with children interested in 4-H and Spanish speaking between the families and the Horticulture agent, Faye. Needless to say, my weeks have been busy, but they've been extremely fun too.

-Ebony Davis

No comments:

Post a Comment