Friday, June 6, 2014

Another Two Weeks Bites the Dust!

           After starting off the week following a relaxing three day weekend, I knew that these next ten days were going to be amazing. Then I realized that every day in extension is an amazing one. I still cannot believe that after today it will be the end of week 4 of my internship. I guess the saying "time flies when you're having fun!" my grandpa always told me is true. These past two weeks have been full of fun and interesting events from every end of the spectrum.

            I started off week three teaching a leadership lesson to two classes of high school freshmen and sophomores. My cooperative agent felt that it was necessary to warn me that these classes are a bit on the wild side. I told her that I loved teaching and working with freshmen classes because they are always excited and high energy students. It turns out that that's exactly what they were, they were wild but they were just eager and excited to participate. We played a bunch of different games to help them step outside of their comfort zone, learn the importance of communication as well as taking a leadership style inventory. After we got back that afternoon Staci and I organized Farm Safety Day shirts and gift bags.

            The next morning instead of heading to the office I was Maysville bound to Bob Evans for a "Bobs Meeting". This meeting is held frequently with the Agriculture Natural Resources agents in our area. The purpose of the meeting is to discuss upcoming dates or events that might need assistance or just so they can inform their community. This was a great opportunity to meet and get to know the ANR Agents in the surrounding counties. I also got to meet Fleming County's new agent Ben Hubbard. After the "Bobs Meeting" I was headed back to the office to meet Staci and then we delivered Farm Safety Day shirts and bags to all of the county's 4th grade classes.

            Thursday, my cooperative agent, one of our adult council members and myself left early to make to Boyd County for the District one Board Meeting. After we got back to the office we worked on preparing the information and supplies for Sewing Camp Orientation. We had 5 kids show up for the orientation in order to listen to the logistics of the camp and to learn about the materials they would need to bring. We also took time out of the day to make sure everything was together for Farm Safety day.

            Farm Safety Day has always been one of my favorite 4-H events from participating, being a group leader through high school to teaching a lesson this year. I had the opportunity to step in and teach a rotation over poison control. I adapted Mr. Jeff Smith's lesson from years before. I used his look alike containers and the kids loved that. They were shocked to see how many they got wrong whenever they had to choose between items like Mt. Dew or Windex Antibacterial Spray. The day had quickly ended and I forgot how mentally and physically exhausting it was.

            

       Saturday was a new and interesting experience for me. It was back to Boyd County for the District 1 Horse Show. I am a livestock guy and have shown livestock for 8 years, so I have never been interested in horses or watching a horse show. After helping with registration and getting the show organized, it was time to start. Like livestock shows they started with showmanship but it had no comparison to that of livestock showmanship. Then the actual show started and I was lost. I tried to learn a little bit through this experience but all I learned was that I still do not understand horses or horse shows. However the show was a lot of fun and the two participants that we had showing did extremely well. One won her showmanship division and the other came out at Reserve High Point in her division.

            Since we worked a full day on Saturday my cooperating agent took a vacation day and I was headed to Boyle County for a District Goat Show to qualify my goats for the KY State Fair. We were back in the office for not even a minute Tuesday Morning then we were off to the Harrison County office for a 4-H camp planning meeting. We figured out the cabin situations and discussed orientations and AC/JC training coming up and what to cover at those trainings. When we made it back to the office we focused on getting things ready for Teen Conference Orientation. We had 4 out of the 5 girls come in and we discussed the dos and don'ts of Teen Conference.

            Wednesday we met at the office a little bit earlier to head out to Fox Valley Lake for the Soil Conservation Day for 5th graders. As we were driving down the bypass, my cooperating agent got the phone call that with the rain the night before the campground had standing water. So they decided to cancel the event. So Wednesday turned into an unexpected office day getting things ready for the gardening lesson that was the next day.

            Thursday morning we headed out for Maysville to get materials for the gardening lesson that was later on in the day. We went to Lowes and purchased the flowers, tomato plants, soil, and pots. Then we went to Wal-Mart and purchased the craft materials to decorate the pot. We got paint pens, buttons, and glue guns. When we got back to the office I worked on getting the sample pots ready show we could show the 4-Hers what they were going to make. We had 4 garden club members come and help out while teaching the kids proper plant care and other facts about the flowers the kids picked to plant. One garden club member even brought her own flower seeds to allow the kids to plant as well.


Until next time,
Cameron Earlywine
University of Kentucky
Career and Technical Education

No comments:

Post a Comment