Monday, June 30, 2014

Busy Busy Busy!

These past two weeks have been the busiest yet! There is always something to do at the extension office. Even though I was busy I have had a great two weeks! I started my fifth week with a nutrition day camp at Johns Creek School. It was three fun-filled days with the youth in my area! The children really seemed to enjoy themselves and they learned how to eat more healthy. We started the first day by making chef hats and aprons.

Two of the aprons and hats the children decorated

After the children finished the aprons and hats we started to cook with them. On the first day we made apple slice pancakes and fruit & cheese kabobs. The children absolutely loved the apple pancakes. They all ate several pancakes. They took pride in the food they had created. Along with teaching the children how to cook we also read several books to them and did nutrition worksheets with them. On the second day we cooked corn fritters and BBQ chicken pizzas. I was very proud of how willing they were to try the food. Once they tried the food they actually liked it and wanted to eat more of it. On the third day we made Fruit salad and fruit pocket pies. I had a blast working with the children and teaching them life skills. 
 Making Corn Fritters

The children with their aprons and hats they made

My sixth week was just as busy as the fifth week! On Monday I went with the 4-H children to Magoffin County for poultry judging training. This was a new experience for me! I had never been around chickens in my whole life until this day! I have learned so much about chickens. I didn't know there was this much to know about chickens. The children we took with us really seemed to enjoy it. We did everything from judging the amount of eggs a hen has been producing to judging the different parts of a chicken carcass. It was a very interesting day! It didn't seem to bother the children seeing the chicken carcass and judging it.


After my exciting new experience of poultry judging I went to Westcare Rehab center on Tuesday. I went with our EFNEF assistant to teach a nutrition class with the guys at Westcare. I was a little bit nervous to go there because I have heard some stories. However, I had a blast! Everyone was very respectful and nice! They even helped us carry in all our supplies. We made pizzas and fruit salad with them. All of the guys loved the food and loved being involved with preparing their own food. I had a good experience with Westcare. After we left there we went to the county jail to teach a nutrition class. It was my first experience working with people who are in jail. The class was not as well behaved as the Westcare guys. I still had a good experience. Sometimes all they need is to feel like someone cares about them and bettering their lives. 

I spent Wednesday at the Phelps Intergenerational Center Health Fair. I had a good time talking with all the people who stopped by my booth. They really enjoyed the models I had of how much sugar was in different drinks. I spent Thursday and Friday preparing recipe books and running a trial run on canning salsa for our canning workshop that Saturday. It was a busy busy busy two weeks! Yet a very fun two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment