Monday, June 16, 2014

Week 3&4

My time at the Pike County Extension office has been great so far! Busy busy busy is the best way to describe extension. You never know what you are going to be doing each day. It could be anything from making fruit kabobs to cleaning the incubators for 4-H. So far I love that each day is different and you can always count on an adventure in extension.

Week 3:
Week three was a week of meetings and planning events. I met with all the Belfry area family resource center directors. We are planning a summer art camp for the Belfry area students. I am working not only with the FRC directors but my fellow intern Meredith Yount as well. We hope to do several different rotations with the children and incorporate all areas of art. I plan to do some type of food art (still working out what exactly I am going to do with it) and Meredith is teaching ceramics.

Our office received several boxes of new incentive items. All boxes had to be inventoried and put away. I worked with my supervisor, Leslie, to go thru all the boxes and put them where they needed to go. Like I said you never know what you are going to be doing in extension.

Week 4:
Week four was fun because I was able to work with children at a summer day camp. I traveled with my co-worker Crystal Raines to Majestic Elementary to teach a nutrition class. We made fruit and cheese kabobs. We read a story to the younger children and had fun nutrition worksheets for the older children. Everyone seemed to love the class and the kabobs we made. So far, helping teach these classes is my favorite part of extension. I love helping children.

Majestic Day Camp

No comments:

Post a Comment