Thursday, June 26, 2014

Its been one month of Scott Co. Fun!

Dear Readers, 

It has officially been one month since I began my internship...(well like three days over, but you get my drift.) Thus far, my experience has been simply amazing. In the short amount of time that I've been here, I have a lists of experiences that will last me a life time. Some of my highlights so far include Teen Conference, Fair, Babysitting Clinic, Farmers Market and Camp Planning.

Teen Conference was a very good time. Although this was my second year attending conference as an intern. Each experience is different. I enjoyed mingling with the teens, getting to know youth outside of my county, as well as building bonds with those that are in my county. My tracks and workshops were amazing, and overall my experience was very pleasant. I enjoyed meeting some of the other interns and sharing experiences with them as well. District night out at Malibu Jacks was a bunch of fun too, I almost forgot to mention.

Camp Planning is cool. I like sitting in on conversation and being able to observe the "ins and outs" of planning for camp. Both 4H agents and myself drove to Franklin Co. for our camp planning meeting, this year Scott, Woodford and Franklin will be camping together. We also have an amazing theme being that we are camping so close to July 4th, "Red, White and Kaboom." I'm super excited for camp, I get to teach a class this year. I will teach a team building course, that will allow me to facilitate a slew of activities for the youth, I'm sure they will love it.

Babysitting Clinic was very different for me. This was my first time really teaching all by myself, and teaching a subject that I wasn't that familiar with. I spent a lot of time familiarizing myself with the curriculum and coming up with fun games and activities that would teach the Middle School age youth about babysitting. I had 16 youth show up for my class, and it turned out to be really great! The course was very interactive, informative and also fun. One little girl claimed "you should be a teacher" which really made my day!

Farmers Market was a lot of fun. We made samples of Strawberry Salsa, and Blueberry, walnut salad. Both were very tasty, and all of the ingredients were available at the market. We had a bunch of really good responses to both. I enjoyed my time spent there, and learned a lot about GMO's and different preservitives while listening in on a couple of conversations.

Fair week is here now, and to say the least, I'm exhausted, but having fun. We've set up for everything from sheep show, goat show, beef show, to dairy show. It has surely been a week. However, we have a new barn that everyone is super proud of, so it's cool to show it off during our shows. I'm learning a lot about the animals and how to judge such a show as well. Taking in fair enteries was neat too. I saw a lot of cool sewing items, as well as a bunch of food that I wanted to eat. To say the least, my time here in Scott Co. with Alison and Patrick has been simply amazing, and I'm looking for more to come.

Signed,
Happy Intern :-)

1 comment: