Monday, June 16, 2014

The Start of Summer

I wrapped up the school year by picking up all the chicks from the chick incubation programs at various elementary school in Fayette County. There where a few hard good byes from the kids but all the chicks found good homes out on farms.  Since one of our 4-H agents transferred to another position I took over the chick incubation programs for the summer.  Can't wait for the fair! Six dozen eggs to hatch out.
 Last week Jessamine County 4-H and the Fayette County 4-H made their next preparation for their hams to be ready for the county fair and state fair. Everyone is working on their speeches and they are coming along very well. Also last week we made our final arrangements for Teen Conference.

 I survived my first Teen Conference. I had a blast getting to know our teens and meeting most the 4-H agents in KY. While at Teen Conference I managed to continue to plan for our camps and a science camp that is next week. Each and every day at Teen Conference was fun. I helped teach a track called Skills to Pay the Bills where I learned that it is always important to modify your lesson by adapting to the teens needs. Half way through our track of teaching the teens on how to get a job, practicing interviews, communication skills, and resume writing one of the teens said "I want to know how to pay bills."  After getting a general census the teens wanted to learn more about the difference of gross income verse at net income, budgeting your money, and how to properly pay your bills. In the picture below is a quick demonstration of your gross income being the basketball, the rim is where taxes are being taken out, the net is your net income, the holes in the net is where you pay your bills, and the at the end of your net is your money left over for savings. Once I drew this the teens fully understood the concept.  After helping teach the track I taught a workshop called Recycled Impressions where we took magazines and created beautiful pieces of art that your can hang up.


We finished Teen Conference with a dance where all the teens dressed up. Fayette County was well represented by a great group of teenagers.
After Teen Conference that following Monday I started my KinderCare Summer Camp that meets once a week. That kids are going blast because we have many environmental activities planned for them each and every week. More details will be in the up and coming blogs. Also next week we will be having a Science Day Camp where we will be building rockets and doing many more science base projects. Time has flown by so much but I am always looking forward to the next coming weeks!


No comments:

Post a Comment