Monday, June 30, 2014

Weeks 3&4

Week 3
I started this week off getting ready for a theatre day camp at Jenkins. I looked up activities and short scripts. Then I met with Mrs. Froman, the 4-H agent, and my fellow intern Chelsea Workman to plan for the Belfry Summer Art Camp for students in grades K-12. Due to a broken kiln, I am now planning a painting class rather than a ceramics class, but I have some interesting ideas on what to do. Then I got to attend a Board Meeting at the Artists Collaborative Theatre where I got roped into being in their upcoming production, Rex’s Exes. My Monday finally ended with rehearsal for Rex’s Exes.
Tuesday started off at Burdine Elementary School where Kristy Porter, one of Pike County’s Fine Arts assistants, and I taught a theatre class for the elementary summer day camp. We had two great groups of kids from grades k-5. We did some theatre activities- Freeze Frame, Sculpture Gallery, and Rhyme Charades. Then we decorated animal masks and the kids acted like their animals.
The rest of the week I just helped out around the office. I did some research, made copies, folded brochures, and helped unload one of the office’s vans.

Week 4
We had some excitement in the office on Monday. The power went out for about an hour. Most of us were working on our computers at the time so all we could do until the power came back on was sit around and answer the phones. Fortunately Brenda, one of Pike County’s awesome Staff Assistants had a bag of Tootsie Rolls to help us pass the time. Tuesday I tried out some ideas for murals to see if any were actually plausible or if they were a little too difficult/complicated. Then we did our first complete run through of Rex’s Exes at the Artists Collaborative Theatre.
Wednesday started off with a Fine Arts meeting where we discussed what we were working on and what we needed to work on. Then the office took me to the Mexican restaurant for my birthday. After lunch I learned about making playbills on Microsoft Publisher from the Fine Arts Assistants, Kristy and Lauren. Then I planned for my painting class for the Belfry Art Camp.I have plenty of ideas for the elementary and middle school groups, but it’s so hard to find good fun activities for high school students.
On Thursday Chelsea Workman, my fellow Pike County intern, showed me around the Belfry area and we stopped at the Belfry Library to discuss doing a mural in the area. The librarians were very receptive and invited me to do a mural for their community room with the kids in their summer reading program. I can’t wait to see how this turns out!

Meredith Yount
Pike County Fine Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment