Monday, June 30, 2014

Highlights of June!

Coming into this internship Dr. Tyler asked me to think about goals to accomplish through this internship. After some consideration I decided that there were three things I would like to improve on. First is learning how to effective network.  This is something that I was thrown into right away! During week one I sat in on many meetings and was introduced to a lot of people. Among these people are Dean Cox (College of Agriculture, Food and Environmental Science) and Terry Allen (associate vice president for employment equity). I was also given the opportunity to join a student subcommittee for the first year experience subcommittee! Highlights of week two I was given the task of teaching a workshop during the Kentucky Youth Seminar (KYS). In the workshop I spoke to high school scholars about transitioning from high school to college. It also consisted of trivia about UK and the college of Ag. I had a lot of fun with the kids! Though there were set back during the week due to weather and fire alarms, it was great to see the kids get into their board scenarios and rise to the challenge. This past week I had great time exploring Louisville with the Kentucky State University Ag Discovery Program. Starting here in Lexington I got the chance to check out the Farmers Market. It was interesting to find out that they have a system that allows people to purchase from the market using their debit and credit cards. If a station does not have their own card machine you can find the farmers market table and they’ll swipe your card for the amount and give you tokens to give to the farmer you wish to purchase from! They also are able to take food stamp cards, which I find very congenial. After the farmers market we drove down to Louisville to visit Churchill Downs. This was my first experience with the equine side of Kentucky. My favorite part of this visit was the video they showed us. The video was meant to enwrap us into a race day experience. I think they did a perfect job of it as the screen fully surrounded us with 360 degree show! Our last stop of the Louisville Slugger museum, this was quite interesting to me as well. Baseball is a big part of my family so it was cool to see how an essential part of the game was made. I have learned a lot the past couple of weeks and this is only the beginning!

Until next time!

-Tiara Fripp

No comments:

Post a Comment